A&M opener. Will be staying in Katy with college roommate.
by Irish72 (2024-02-14 20:49:22)

Which Houston airport is best to fly into? TIA

OT: Does anybody know what the RV situation is at A&M?
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-02-17 11:48:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Planning to fly into Hobby then pick up an RV and drive to College Station. How feasible is to drag that monster around? Where to park it?

Any info would be appreciated.

9 out 10 RV’s at Texas A&M have their shitter’s full
by Frank Drebin  (2024-02-20 09:43:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Choose your RV down there carefully

For access to Katy? IAH for certain.
by austindomer  (2024-02-16 10:58:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As others have stated, IAH is north of the city while Hobby is near to downtown. From IAH, you can use Beltway 8 (88 mile long loop around Houston) to circumvent the city. However, it can get pretty backed up in the mornings and evenings.

There is another option: You could head a few miles north from IAH and hit the NEXT loop around the city, Hwy 99 (123 miles long). The overall mileage to get to Katy is longer but 99 is newer and the area is far less built up so there's usually significantly less traffic.

Disagree
by HTownND  (2024-02-21 12:32:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hobby isn't near downtown per se. It's more SE between 610 and the Tollway.

Either is probably fine to fly into, as Katy is due west of the city, west of the Beltway/Tollway and halfway between the north end of the 610 loop/Beltway and the south end of the 610 loop/beltway concentric circles.

Realistically, Hobby is probably closest from a pure mileage standpoint, but both Hobby and IAH are going to dump you onto the Beltway (although I'd pay the tolls), and loop you around, then dump you onto 10 near Memorial, then it's West to Katy.

That said I haven't driven a ton in Houston lately, and all that driving has been confined to primarily the NW side, so if there is Tollway construction, that would change my answer. But IAH is more north of Katy than Hobby is South of Katy, and at that point, you're just using the outer rings to get to 10 then West, although depending on where in Katy, the Westpark Toll could be an option as well.

Traffic in and around Hobby is the deciding factor for me.
by austindomer  (2024-03-05 16:07:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's landlocked where it is and the roads aren't sufficient for the number cars passing in and out. My experiences of driving to Hobby have been long, frustrating, and claustrophobic.

Not that IAH is some paragon of transportation organization but it's far bigger and more spread out, so once you get in your car traffic seems to move pretty freely.

Both airports are roughly equidistant from Katy, one on the North side and one on the South so this discussion is probably moot.

Better hope Katy’s husband doesn’t hear about this *
by Frank Drebin  (2024-02-15 15:27:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does she "embroidery on his jeans"? *
by CoachS  (2024-02-19 16:33:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he does, it's Katy bar the door *
by sprack  (2024-02-16 15:26:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Katy Lied!
by drmurray  (2024-02-16 10:26:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She caught the Katy
by ClingII  (2024-02-15 20:22:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and left me a mule to ride

well thank you pal *
by irishrock  (2024-02-15 22:20:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because if he does, well, Katy bar the door! *
by SavageDragon  (2024-02-15 18:51:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Katy lied
by garbageplate  (2024-02-15 16:53:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was halfway crucified.

Don't be like
by RJD  (2024-02-17 22:14:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IAH/Bush is much closer to A&M than Hobby is. However, if
by VaDblDmr  (2024-02-15 08:37:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you are flying Southwest, then it's likely to be Hobby. In terms of Katy, I'm not sure it makes much difference.

IAH (Bush) and HOU (Hobby) are
by DonegalND73  (2024-02-14 23:19:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

30 to 60 minutes away from each other, depending on bad traffic. IAH is further north of HOU, which makes it easier to Katy, but I would suggest looking for airline cost vs airport location. There can sometimes wide price variations based upon which airport you fly into! I’ll be at the game as well. Be prepared to sweat your ass off!

Why is being closer
by HTownND  (2024-02-21 12:34:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To the Hardy toll road a factor in favor of IAH. Katy is basically 10 and 610.

Hobby is closer to 610 than IAH, even though it's a tad more east than IAH.