I remain unfussed about Harbaugh to Michigan
by El Kabong (2014-12-18 10:45:36)

To be clear, I respect they're apparently going all-in on the highest-profile candidate, and I hope (against hope) when the time comes, ND is willing to do the same thing.

But Harbaugh as Michigan coach doesn't scare me overall. Aside of the fact they're not on our schedule so I'm not concerned about W/L, two things drive my opinion here:

First, I still doubt it's going to happen. These rumors are out there by the will of Harbaugh or his agents. If he was going to accept that offer, he's free to take it right now because Michigan isn't bound by any tampering rules. Harbaugh can quit the Niners and head to Ann Arbor in the morning should he wish. No, these numbers are out there both to establish a floor for the NFL bidding and let the Niners know he's got a valid offer to walk away and if they want any kind of compensation for losing him, they'll have to be reasonable with NFL suitors. Yes, he'd be burning his bridges with his Wolverine brethren. The fact is, I don't think he cares.

Second, and probably more importantly, even if he does become Michigan's coach, I don't think he'll be there long term because he's crazier than a shithouse rat. As was pointed out in a recent article, this guy is the best coach the Niners have had since Seifert, and yet the team ownership is falling all over themselves to get rid of him. While allowing for the possibility of incompetence, that's still a red flag to me.

If Harbaugh went to Michigan, they'd likely get short-term benefit, because the guy knows what he's doing on the sidelines and likely can inspire college kids to play hard. But this guy almost got into a fight with an opposing coach in the post-game handshake last season. What happens when he loses to Ohio State on a last-second field goal, decides he doesn't like the way Urban Meyer is looking at him, and punches him out?

This guy is a good coaching mind tucked into a semi-controlled over-emotional envelope. He's the Matt Doherty of college football coaches. And like Doherty, I think he'd have one or two seasons of success before players started getting burned out and tuning out the zany.

Maybe. College kids rotate out every 4 years.
by btd  (2014-12-18 18:45:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thus, some of his act wearing on kids is solved by the fact they leave before he reaches a breaking point with them. Rinse, wash, repeat.

I suspect they could/would win a NC under him before he leaves. He is that good IMO. He will light a fire under them every bit as bright as the fire Holtz lit under ND his first few years. We will see some drop in recruiting because he will get virtually any player he wants the first three years. Not fatal for us, but not good.

Worst of all, he will make Michigan better than ND for at least 3 years. That alone should make us not want him there. Even after he leaves, it will take 3 more years for his players to wash out of the system -- see Stanford.

Crazier than a shithouse rat....what a great line *
by zahmb  (2014-12-18 17:14:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harbaugh stories
by ndalum88  (2014-12-18 13:53:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remain convinced that Jim Harbaugh has the potential to be the best college football coach in the nation, and that he is miscast in the NFL. His public perception is that of a pretty strange guy, and I believe it based on a couple of incidents. Years ago, when Harbaugh was with the Bears, my wife (single at the time) was in a bar with some friends in Chicago when Harbaugh found himself next to her and said "So.....where do you live?" (first question). One of her friends told her who it was, because my wife's standard questions about football are whether it's intermission yet and if anyone has hit a home run, and she was unimpressed. She gave him a general area. He proceeded to say no more to her or anyone else for a minute or two, then back to her "So.....where do you live?".

Story two - a couple of years ago, I was waiting at a gate at O'Hare in terminal 1 - B concourse. If you know O'Hare, you know that to get to C you go down an escalator, way underground, travel a long way across the tarmac, and then up a long escalator to get back to airplane door level. I saw Harbaugh walk by and, as my gate was near the escalator, saw him get on it to go to C. I'm not kidding, within 20 minutes I saw him do that four separate times. The fourth time, he fit the Frank Caliendo characterization, as he was riding the elevator up, backwards, with his eyes wide and looking like he was strung out on something. The whole time, he was carrying nothing. And yeah - he was wearing a black shirt and tan pants...The only other time I recall being creeped out by a celebrity was when I went to the 1990 USC-UCLA game and stood behind a really weird loner wearing a USC letterman jacket who turned out to be OJ Simpson.

He's an intense, and odd dude - but a great coach.

Harbaugh just looks Batshit nuts.
by The Beef  (2014-12-18 15:01:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are two pretty common "tells" for crazy people. The first is that their eyelids are open to the point that you see a lot of "white" above the iris. During the "Runaway Bride" saga in Atlanta, I remember doctor's discussing this phenomenon.

The second is that the person walks around slack-jawed as his natural "resting" face.

He has both of those traits in spades.

They already have a bobble head doll out for him.
by TWO  (2014-12-18 15:00:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harbaugh as Michigan Coach .
by irishwest  (2014-12-18 13:40:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will not likely happen. I heard it mentioned earlier today a fact that is very enlightening.

Harbaugh has never coached a team outside the state of California. San Diego, Stanford, now the 49ers.. Rumor has it his wife will not leave Cali..
Why move from the warm confines of California to cold & damp Michigan? He probably could keep the same home in the SF/Oakland Bay area.. Not that an $8Million dollar contract would make a move difficult.
The supposed offer from Michigan is simply a ploy to give the Raiders a reference point $$$ wise. His ego drives him... His Brother has a Super Bowl title... he needs one. College Championships are a step below the ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl.

He wins, but is very difficult to work with.. The window for the 49ers to win is starting to close... No defense... No offensive line ( this year), and really no Franchise QB..

No defense? Really...
by Slotts  (2014-12-18 14:25:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thougth the defense played great, especially considering all of the injuries. Defense was not the problem. It was all offense.

Defense for 49ers
by irishwest  (2014-12-18 17:40:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My point was more about all the injuries and suspensions they've had. I would agree somewhat that the defense has played decently in spite of all those problems. Can't say the same for the offense. I think they over invested in Kapernick.. I saw him play for 4 years at Nevada, so I have a good sense of what he is ( A good running spread QB with marginal passing skills).

I don't think it really matters anymore.
by AFA91  (2014-12-18 13:23:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At this point in history ND is institutionally committed to football mediocrity. Of course this is not true in a direct sense - surely leadership wants to win, just as most humans, given a choice, would be rich - however, just as most humans prove unwilling to do what it takes to become rich, ND leadership has manifestly demonstrated its lack of will/guts to do what it takes to restore the football programme to greatness. Throwing money at facilities etc. does NOT constitute a demonstration of will in this context, especially considering how easy that is for ND to do. Only hiring a real coach would clear that bar, and that's not going to happen. Every time a real coach comes available, ND is quickly ruled out of consideration. Every time ND goes through the coaching carousel itself, real coaches are quickly ruled out of consideration. I don't see this changing anytime soon - not without some sort of miracle among leadership.

Regardless of whom Michigan - or anyone else for that matter - gets, ND football is slip-sliding away.

Harbaugh to address media at 1:40 PST
by GeronimoRumplestiltskin  (2014-12-18 13:13:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Link to live stream in article linked below...

Uh oh... *
by cj  (2014-12-18 13:22:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's his weekly scheduled press conference. *
by irishaddict  (2014-12-18 13:26:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. *
by cj  (2014-12-18 13:30:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We should offer him $48MM
by Chuck84  (2014-12-18 13:40:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just to say "Michigan Sucks" and walk out.

Actually, we should offer him $47MM to take the ND job. *
by CJC  (2014-12-18 14:53:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For that much he should take a dump in a Michigan hat
by captaineclectic  (2014-12-18 14:41:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He wouldn't have to say anything. Just wordlessly shit in the hat, then walk away.

Per BoardOps, this belongs on Cartier
by collegium antiquum  (2014-12-18 13:04:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I jest

The rumors now are....
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-18 12:47:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Michigan simply put those numbers out there to make it look like they tried. When in fact Harbaugh had already told them no weeks ago.

If that is true, it's not very smart.
by mkovac  (2014-12-18 16:19:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They will be negotiating against themselves when they start talking numbers to the guy who wants the job.

Michigan: "Ok. Let's talk numbers."

Prospect: "Ok. I'll take what you offered Harbaugh."

Michigan: "Those were just rumors. We don't have that kind of money to offer you."

Prospect: "I heard it on good authority that you DID offer him that amount. My agent talked to his agent. Starting off by not telling the truth is not the way to deal with me. I won't lie to you, so you should not lie to me. It's something called trust."

Michigan: (pregnant pause). "Ok. I'll get back to you. Where's your agent? He was supposed to represent you here today."

Prospect: "He got me in the door. From here on out, I represent myself."

Michigan: "Ok. That's good. That's good. Want a bagel chip?"

Swarbrick said they are not a rival.... should be unfussed *
by stevegarvey  (2014-12-18 12:37:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UM's offer will not be competitive with an NFL offer
by jt  (2014-12-18 12:12:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the bidding for an NFL team starts at 10 million/year for him. Now, he had a bigger offer in 11 to go to UM and went to SF instead; is it because his wife wants to stay in the bay area, is it because he wanted the NFL challenge, or is it a combination of those reasons and/or something else? I don't know.

Way off on your 10 Million figure
by stevegarvey  (2014-12-18 12:39:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top salaries right now are 8 Million for Payton and Carroll, Belicheat gets 7.5 Million.

The 8 Million that Michigan offered makes him the highest paid coach at any level!

you are not my padre Steve Garvey *
by jt  (2014-12-18 13:35:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You misread his post
by El Kabong  (2014-12-18 12:46:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's saying the bidding for Harbaugh will start at $10m

One contrary view from the West Coast
by Bete Rouge  (2014-12-18 12:01:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many 49ers fans think it is the team ownership and management that are crazy as shithouse rats. The break with Harbaugh is just part of a larger unraveling of a once-marquee franchise. Not the first time in history that the descendants of a very able leader turned out to be nincompoops.

A contrary West Coast view to your contrary view
by sf domer  (2014-12-18 14:00:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First off, Niner fans like SF Giant fans are some of the most unknowledgeable sports fans I have ever seen. Win and they don't care what else happens (granted true of many sports fans). But they also get all worked up over their panda hats, garlic fries, and what micro brew is on tap at the stadium. Superficial fans at best who are stunned that Kapernick isn't effective this year without understanding that the NFL mostly requires a pocket passer to succeed and Kap is most successful outside the pocket (and in the NFL this often means into the waiting arms of a linebacker). His scrambling worked well initially for defenses prepared for Alex Smith, Kap's skills don't work too well anymore. Average Niner fan can't figure that out. And so on and so on....

Secondly, Niner ownership is finally taking to heart the word "ownership". Just because your fan base is ignorant doesn't mean you can sleep at night like Lurie, Magowan etc to win at all costs. McDonald has had one too many sexual assault accusation, bam he is gone. Harbaugh has had one too many run in with opposing coaches, bam he will be gone too. For the Yorks, this is their legacy and Jed is growing a set of balls to run the team to be something he is proud of. Fuck Harbaugh. I find it refreshing to think an owner may have a shred of integrity.

nonsense *
by jt  (2014-12-18 19:05:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

u mad?
by Mike Honcho  (2014-12-18 14:35:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glad you've got the SF fanbases figured out. Hope it dulls the pain of being a Mets fan.

many/most fans don't know what is going on behind the scenes
by jt  (2014-12-18 12:07:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that this could have been handled better by everyone but Harbaugh cannot get along with anyone and prefers to have everyone on edge at all times because he thinks people work better with the tension. That's not going to work for very long.

A lot of the disintegration of the relationship stems from..
by Irishdemon  (2014-12-18 13:04:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

… Harbaugh's steadfast refusal to do anything in regards to fundraising and glad handing when it came to the construction of Levi's Stadium.

"Jim we need you to attend this dinner."

"No, I'm not going. I'm a football coach. I coach football."

"Jim, you work for us and you're going."

"I don't work for you. I work for my team."

"Jim, you're going."

"No I'm not."

I'm fortunate to have friends in the organization and I trust them when they tell me these exchanges happened and they're a big part of why the relationship has gone south.

yeah, like I said
by jt  (2014-12-18 13:29:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his biggest issues are with York and not the GM.

Former niners have said negative things about
by 84david  (2014-12-18 12:22:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harbaugh too (Steve Young and Jerry Rice). I have no idea what the context was, but Rice said something about "not doing things the 49er way."

there have been a lot of grumblings
by jt  (2014-12-18 12:24:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that mostly Steve Young's issues have been with the offensive scheme this year and the lack of qb development going on with Kaepernick. I think Harbaugh is a great coach and I am dismayed that they couldn't get this worked out but I think that he shit the bed this year on offense.

The QB situation is very problematic. Every time ...
by Rocksteady74  (2014-12-18 12:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... I've seen Kaepernick this year he has looked worse. A year ago he and Wilson looked like the future of NFL QBs. Wilson has had struggles this year (his OL has been bad), but he has kept focus better and makes better decisions. He may just have a better QB mind, but it seems to me that the 49ers staff has given Kaepernick the help he needs.

they have completely let Kaepernick down
by jt  (2014-12-18 13:30:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

terrible scheme, no thought process on progressions (how about moving the pocket against the Seahawks so he isn't just a sitting duck?), no play sequencing (here we will run zone read for 15 yards and then not go back to it for the rest of the game).

As a 49er fan the offense has been decidedly grab-bag.
by LaughingTulkas  (2014-12-18 15:35:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However I am used to seeing such things for other reasons.

He would create a foil that would expose ND's shortcomings.
by NDOKC  (2014-12-18 11:59:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In some ways, I would appreciate Harbaugh at Michigan because it would demonstrate not only that a team "can" win with a tough style of play, but in fact demonstrate that this is the preferred path for upper-midwest teams.

Although if ND does not already appreciate that after Hayes, Schembechler, Holtz, Alvarez, Dantonio, Meyer ... then, well.

Meyer? *
by cabnd00  (2014-12-18 13:43:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are and have been a lot of eccentric college
by ugoirish  (2014-12-18 11:53:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coaches who stayed employed for extended periods. Schembechler and Hayes come immediately to mind and in the current period Gundy and Miles have had some weird episodes and even guys like Paul Johnson and Spurrier seem pretty close to the edge. Stanford is a fairly conservative place as colleges go and they didn't seem to be in any particular rush to get rid of him.

I think he would be a grand slam home run hire but I don't think the odds are in their favor. The 49ers were out of the playoffs Sunday. The way coaching hires happen these days, I would have thought they would have bagged him by now if it were going to happen. They probably still have a chance and I admire them for trying.

If it happens and Meyer is in Columbus and Harbaugh in Ann Arbor, Swarbrick will have a difficult act to follow his next turn up at bat. I also think he'd look pretty silly with those guys at Midwest powerhouses and Kelly running his show but he would probably think they're equivalent.

I think Harbaugh wants to win
by gadomer  (2014-12-18 11:49:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Super Bowl more than a national championship at Michigan. I think he still has demons he wants to exorcise; namely the close-but-not-close-enough result against the Steelers when he was with the Colts.

I think Harbaugh will land with a team that has a quality QB. His best years at Stanford were made possible by Andrew Luck. Take away Andrew Luck, what was his record at Stanford?
There is no Andrew Luck on the Michigan roster. Money isn't the only thing that attracts coaches to a program.

Alex Smith was seen as washout when he took over
by ugoirish  (2014-12-18 12:04:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the 49ers and Kaepernick was a second round pick out of Nevada who Jon Tenuta and Corwin Brown frustrated and shutout. He also didn't have Luck when he beat SC in the Coliseum as a 43 point underdog. I think the odds are against him ending up at Michigan but I doubt the lack of a star QB on their roster would be the thing to prevent it. I just don't buy the theory that says Andrew Luck is responsible for his success at Stanford. I would think going to NFC Title Game-Super Bowl-NFC Title Game in his first three years as a pro coach with a team that hadn't had a winning season in the previous eight years would put that to bed.

Fair points ...
by gadomer  (2014-12-18 13:08:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the NFL is a far different game than college football in terms of preparation and mentality. The college game is as much emotional as the NFL game is professional. Harbaugh is able to combine both but he is a much better fit in the NFL.
I think he needs a QB like Luck to succeed with his offense. It is why Miami and Atlanta would be perfect suitors for Harbaugh's services. I think Harbaugh prefers to work with a GM who can get the QB he needs rather than recruit and develop a QB like the college game. Hence, my thoughts about Luck.
I also believe he does not want to involve himself in a reclamation project like Michigan. If he starts out 9-15 at Michigan, he will be on thin ice. He knows it.

As for Kaepernick, I was at that Nevada game. We were very lucky to get a shutout. Nevada was constantly driving the ball but could not score.

To be fair to Harbaugh, Schwartz is the one who
by PA_DoubleD  (2014-12-18 11:43:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ran after him and initiated the confrontation. To point number one, his wife does not want to leave the Bay Area and is very firm on that. It is more likely he becomes the Raiders head coach than Michigan's (which I would absolutely love to see). Also, while I completely agree with your assessment of Harbaugh's personality and insanely divisive attitude, I have pause when agreeing with the point that he wouldn't stay long at Michigan if it were to happen.

Here's the catch with Michigan: the reason Harbaugh rubs people the wrong way and always wear's his welcome within three to four years is because he, like almost every successful coach, a huge control freak. He wants to have full control over everything surrounding his football team, and anyone who stands in his way of winning football games will draw his ire. It's amplified because he's a control freak with the attitude of Bill Romanowski. GM's in the NFL, especially a good one like Trent Balke, have big ego's too and won't give Harbaugh all the power he wants. They battled over it for 4 years and San Fran has finally had enough. They made the decision they were getting rid of him before the season started.

Put him at a college school like Michigan, one that is starving for a savior of their football program, starving to return to national prominence, and I think they would be willing give him full reign over everything that is Michigan football. The AD would be there only for scheduling and building the brand, Harbaugh would be able to do as he please and as we all know, would do very well. With the money they're willing to pay him, and the control they would grant him, I think he would stay until he chooses. It would be fun to watch him and Urban battle it out, and return that rivarly to a huge level again.

he isn't as much of a control freak as you might think
by jt  (2014-12-18 12:09:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he doesn't want personnel control of an NFL team, for example. He doesn't want to pick the players and is fine with Baalke picking them. If he goes to another NFL team he will likely bring his own GM with him (especially the Raiders; Tom Gamble is the rumored guy).

He's just a dick to work with; his issues aren't with Baalke, his issues are largely with York.

Fair enough, in the end it's about ego *
by PA_DoubleD  (2014-12-18 12:35:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UM's new prez made some comments about the embarrassing.....
by brnd  (2014-12-18 11:59:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

.....academic aspects of UM's sports teams and he was quickly waterboarded.

He has since stopped that line of thought.

UM badly wants to win at any cost, especially after watching their rival hire Meyer and become entrenched as the bully of the Midwest (largely by SEC tactics).

Harbaugh also criticized program in past for poor academics *
by stevegarvey  (2014-12-18 12:42:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fyi Harbaugh called him "schwantz". That's what caused the
by cj  (2014-12-18 11:56:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rift.

“I went to congratulate Coach Harbaugh and got shoved out of the way. And then I didn’t expect an obscenity at that point, so it was a surprise to me at the end of the game.”

Have you watched the video?
by PA_DoubleD  (2014-12-18 12:40:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he did not get "shoved out of the way" Harbaugh hit him on the back a little harder than normal because he was fired up about winning the game and Schwartz ran after him. Are you really that sensitive as 40 something man that someone mispronouncing your last name will make you go after them? Please, it was about Schwartz being a sore loser.

I was told by a 49er exactly what happened. Their "feud"
by cj  (2014-12-18 13:07:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

goes back to where they crossed paths/swords as player/coach in the 90's.

schwartz was never respected by Harbaugh.

The word Harbaugh used is "a derogatory term for someone, as in calling a person a "dick" or a "schmuck"."

I watched exactly what happened and asked for the "inside story"...

That's awesome
by gadomer  (2014-12-18 13:48:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think quite a few Lions fans have similar thoughts about their late departed coach.

What is so good about Balke? What did he do before..
by Slotts  (2014-12-18 11:50:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harbaugh got there? Not a damn thing as best I can tell.

They've been a good drafting team during his tenure
by PA_DoubleD  (2014-12-18 12:31:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Balke's been very good with signing contracts. The Kaepernick deal is as hollow of $96 million as you can imagine. It's pay as you go after next year.

I think that's bunk
by ACross  (2014-12-18 11:26:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He would be a game-changing presence in college football and a perfect fit at UM. I hate Michigan more than anybody on this planet aside from ndoldtown. But to think he would do anything but excel there is wishful and irrational thinking.

And ND's prospects are not good. If Kelly's efforts to jump out the plane with the last parachute are unavailing, and he stays at ND, you know what we'll be doing for the foreseeable future. Namely, blowing goats. If he leaves, then the odds are decidedly in favor of ND stepping on its crank and staggering around until they hire some bullshit replacement like Fitzgerald or Martin.

A resurgent UM will certainly diminish the stature of ND's football program.

I think its a lot of ESPN sausage talk that the 49ers disappointing season somehow invalidates Harbaugh's acheivements and proven excellence to date. I hate the guy, but he is an ass kicker. Gruden and Holtz and Saban and Carroll and Andy Reid and a host of other great coaches all were forced out of NFL jobs. So, he and 49ers ownership had a falling out. It happens.

There odds are infinitesimally remote that Swarbrick would be able to counter UM's hiring of Harbaugh with a hiring of a candidate with similar statue and credentials.

This would be a bad, ba thing for ND football, and there's no sense denying it.

I fully agree... a good Michigan is bad for ND
by mmetzger  (2014-12-18 17:28:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Harbaugh has won everywhere he goes.

Even if he flames out at Michigan after 6 or 7 years, they would still have a solid 5 years of excellence to build on.

Stanford is just now coming down from the lift he gave them and he's been gone for a few years now.

Apparently for Across
by mcdougal  (2014-12-18 13:01:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a topic being "germane" is a concept that only applies when it suits him.

"A resurgent UM will certainly diminish the stature of ND's football program." Sounds eerily familiar to the Michigan coaching post you chastised several days ago as meaningless drivel unbefitting Rock's. Oh how quickly things change.

If the Bonger starts a thread, it's germane *
by ACross  (2014-12-18 14:03:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Truth.
by hobfyes  (2014-12-18 13:06:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was on the receiving end of that hypocrisy in the first instance.

Would ND ever hire Harbaugh?
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2014-12-18 12:31:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If there was an opening.

Curious to hear your thoughts?

No *
by jt  (2014-12-18 13:41:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were rumors in 2009 that ND had contact with him
by KevinG  (2014-12-18 12:45:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If that was true, not sure what has changed that would cause ND to not reach out to him now.

And he would be a dream choice for me. If ranking my ultimate desires for ND's next coach, he would fall only behind Saban.

While we're smoking rope, I'll take John Harbaugh *
by acrossdmiddle  (2014-12-18 13:04:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed; the only "positive" might be our PTB waking up
by Irish2003  (2014-12-18 12:26:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm a 49ers fan, and while this year is disappointing, his overall tenure has been very impressive, especially since they had a very long and mediocre coaching run since Seifert left. Any discussion of other professional coaches and how they may adapt to college is best left to another thread, but it's a moot point anyway as Harbaugh has already proven that he can perform at a high level in college, especially at one of the few schools that actually has some restrictions. His recruiting style unfortunately lends itself particularly well to UM's traditional successful focus (as it would to ND, and I'd have no problem matching Michigan's offer in a perfect world), as he built a physical, smashmouth team at a wine & cheese school of all places.

I posted this in a prior thread, but I am honestly shocked that our big donors who have been highly successful in their careers tolerate mediocrity in the one sport that is a pillar of ND. I don't like guys like Knight & Pickens buying teams, but the unfortunate fact is that they can be a huge asset, along with folks like Arillaga, Jamail, Bryant Jr. As other posters have mentioned, our admin seems to be concerned about the perception of "wasting" money on an elite coach, even though a good coach would be an investment that more than pays for itself and is actually cheaper than buying out failed ones like we've done. Nearly every traditional power save ND, UM, and Nebraska has bounced back from prior coaching futility, and if UM getting Harbaugh isn't a wakeup call to our decision makers, I'm not sure what is. That said, I fully expect the status quo to continue, but if it took creating some Seamus McRichpants Director of Football title like Stanford did to get a rich donor to ante up, that would be completely fine with me.

I must agree....
by brnd  (2014-12-18 12:07:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Harbaugh is an arse and half crazy, but he produces tough football teams that win. Perfect fit for a Midwest team.

He'll implode at some point, but that might not be for another 10 years.

I would happily take him at ND despite the baggage. I would happily take Meyer too, and he is an arse who has allowed all sorts of nonsense at UF and OSU (every school's admin sets the boundaries and the coach will generally explore up to the gray areas; ND wouldn't allow such nonsense).

One fun aspect if he gets the UM job is that, given his prior comments, he will have to eliminate the eligibility major where UM hides many of the jocks. Well, either that or admit to being a big hypocrite.

Honest question
by NDColt  (2014-12-18 12:05:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is there any basis for thinking Fitzgerald would be a candidate or are you using him as an example of a less than stellar replacement? I am not tied into the workings of the administration, but even with the hiring decisions of the past 20 years, I couldn't imagine that anyone would think Fitzgerald would be viable. Maybe I am naive.

You hate ndoldtown more than you hate Michigan? *
by milhouse  (2014-12-18 11:50:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

racialist against dagos *
by jt  (2014-12-18 12:12:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Short term, I agree
by El Kabong  (2014-12-18 11:50:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And explicitly said in my post he's a good coach.

But he's also more than a little nuts, and I don't think that lends itself to a long tenure.

7 years to 9 years. That's how long he will impact UM
by btd  (2014-12-18 18:51:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if he goes there. It will take about 4 years minimum for him to wear out his welcome, especially if he wins a NC during one of those 4 years and he is good enough IMO to make that happen at a school like Michigan.

Michigan will still play like they are coached by him for 3 years after he leaves -- just using Stanford as a refernece. The sum is at least 7 years where Michigan will go back to playing quality football.

Holtz only had an 11 year run at ND. I think most of the men on this site would cut off their left nut to get 7 to 9 years of quality coaching again at ND before we die.

Were there any grumblings about him at Stanford before he...
by FL_Irish  (2014-12-18 12:21:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...left? He'd been there for four years. Is there any reason to think that he couldn't have been their for four more (or even longer)?

And I would guess Stanford has a lower tolerance for crazy than Michigan would.

Miami won three championships after Jimmie Johnson.
by NDMike2001  (2014-12-18 12:06:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With two different (average) coaches.

You consider Dennis Erickson an
by smithwick  (2014-12-18 12:57:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

average coach? I would say his career is certainly better than average.

And I'm not sure why you're attributing Coker's NC to Johnson when it was Butch Davis who built Coker's teams.

Would above average make a difference?
by NDMike2001  (2014-12-18 13:36:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's had mixed results at stops after Miami - most of which weren't entirely that successful. His results at Oregon State were probably less successful than Kelly here at ND, while he's been fired from several other gigs.

The point is that even short stints by great, but polarizing, coaches can have long term impacts on a program.

Harbaugh is the kind of coach that could impact UM years after he leaves.

I did not see the Andy Reid reference coming.
by YinzKeenanVisor  (2014-12-18 11:44:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I agree w/ everything else you wrote.

If Harbaugh returns to college, he will have his team in the playoff within 3 years.

So we can talk about the UM search now?
by NDMike2001  (2014-12-18 11:38:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the answer is yes...for the reasons you state in your ironic post.

That being said, he's going to the Bears.

I think this summarizes the situation rather neatly. *
by Tinsu  (2014-12-18 11:30:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. I am just hoping he does not accept. *
by The Oak  (2014-12-18 11:32:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still need to be concerned about Wins & Losses
by RJD  (2014-12-18 11:24:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when it comes to Michigan. If Chuck wasn't so lazy, he would have mentioned it.

Hardballs left college because he prefers the NFL. Why reverse field now? Because Kaepernik isn't the man?

I love this line
by MDDomer  (2014-12-18 11:16:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"What happens when he loses to Ohio State on a last-second field goal, decides he doesn't like the way Urban Meyer is looking at him, and punches him out? "

That would be fantastic

As a Colt, he once took exception to some stinging criticism
by Knute of Indy  (2014-12-18 11:51:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from retired player and then analyst Jim Kelly. There was a confrontation and I believe Harbaugh ended up with a broken hand. When asked about it, witness Marshall Faulk would only laugh. I don't believe Kelly suffered any obvious injury. It was about the same time Harbaugh was swimming in the religious deep end.

The guy's nuttier than squirrel shit.

Yes he is *
by MDDomer  (2014-12-18 12:42:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree on all points. *
by KevinPS  (2014-12-18 11:16:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, the 'almost' fight was not on Harbaugh, it was on the
by Slotts  (2014-12-18 11:15:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

guy that the Lions fired, Baltimore and Mt. St. Joseph's own Jim Schwartz. And by Baltimore, I mean Arbutus.

Arbutus -- Gateway to Halethorp
by IrishForum  (2014-12-18 12:01:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or is it the other way around?

Well, they're all just Catonsville suburbs anyway. *
by Slotts  (2014-12-18 12:27:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you denigrating Catonsville w/ it Harvard on the Hill *
by steelhop  (2014-12-18 14:30:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Crazier than a shithouse rat....what a great line *
by zahmb  (2014-12-18 11:10:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My only worry would be taking recruits from us
by irishrock  (2014-12-18 11:08:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think MI is in such a weak spot right now that whoever takes the job will have a tough 2-3 years, and that includes Harbaugh.

The only good sign on recruiting is that Harbaugh is an odd duck. He will pull some recruits, but he may drive others to Saban or Meyer.

Keep your eyes on Pelini and Tressel. They're going to be
by cj  (2014-12-18 11:11:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fun to watch.

Having Meyer and Harbaugh in our backyard would hurt
by ryND  (2014-12-18 11:11:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recruiting. Kelly cannot compete with either one of those men and would have his hat handed to him on the recruiting trail.

While he would then have his other end handed to him
by 2ndstreeter  (2014-12-18 11:43:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on the football field due holes in recruiting.

I agree. *
by SorinBasement  (2014-12-18 11:32:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two comments neither of which are going to sway you.
by MistakenD  (2014-12-18 11:06:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One - I think you may underestimate the craziness of 49ers ownership in making conclusions on the fault of the pending Harbaugh/49ers split. Currently, running the show is a 34 year old, 3rd generation Debartolo. I didn't realize that until recently. I'm guessing York is passionate, but tweeting an apology to fans on Thanksgiving day about a single loss wasn't a strong move.

Two - When Harbaugh-back-to-college rumors swirl, I think of the look on his face when he shook his brother's hand after losing the Super Bowl. That's the face a driven but devastated man. He covets the Lombardi trophy not the bureaucratic nightmare of ESPN's minor league. I agree that Jim is nuts, but I'm not sure if he is crazy like a fox or just plain crazy. The 49ers aren't going to get a better football coach. They may find a better fit, but how many Ws does that get you?

Isn't York married to a DeBartolo? He isn't one himself *
by AZKARL  (2014-12-18 11:15:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's incorrect. He is a 3rd generation DeBartolo...
by Slotts  (2014-12-18 11:19:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is the son of Denise DeBartolo, Ed Sr's daughter and Ed Jr's sister.

Sure, but he's not patrilineal. *
by Irish tool  (2014-12-18 12:20:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jed is the son of Denise DeBartolo & John York
by Irish2003  (2014-12-18 11:18:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eddie Sr. made the family fortune and bought the team (as well as donating for our own DeBartolo Hall and DPAC), and was then followed by Eddie Jr. Eddie Jr's legal issues -IIRC some sort of gambling investigation involving a powerful politician?- forced him to transfer the team to his sister Denise, which eventually led to Jed being in charge.

Jed York is Eddie DeBartolo Sr.'s grandson *
by irishlaw2010  (2014-12-18 11:18:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everyone says Oakland but I think it's Miami
by irishrock  (2014-12-18 11:10:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Ross is going to throw a huge check Harbaugh's way.

Being discussed on the Patrick Show
by Domer58  (2014-12-18 11:00:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Speculation first, that wife does not want to leave the West Coast. This whole thing is a ploy to up the ante for the Raiders while lowering the trade value.

As for me, I couldn't care less what happens in Ann Arbor. In fact, Michigan fans could well deserve Harbaugh and what goes with him

Can ND have two seasons of success?
by coachslacker  (2014-12-18 10:56:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with or without the zany, it doesn't matter to me.

Were there any reported issues he had at Stanford?
by FourLeafDomer  (2014-12-18 10:52:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with your overall assessment here. But I don't know if I recall ever hearing about clashes with upper management while he was at Stanford. Maybe because he got to run the whole shooting match there there weren't as many issues. Or maybe I just wasn't paying that much attention to him.

He yelled at an opposing quarterback because he didn't think
by tdiddy07  (2014-12-18 11:24:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his "good game" salutation was genuine.

No one at Stanford cared because he made them relevant. *
by Bones  (2014-12-18 10:59:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nobody at Michigan would care either. *
by FL_Irish  (2014-12-18 12:24:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm glad you wrote this
by Chuck84  (2014-12-18 10:52:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because it's pretty much what I wanted to say, but I'm just too damned lazy.