When he was recruiting him?
by HTownND (2018-01-10 18:02:47)

In reply to: Curious about the context for the Urban story.  posted by IrishJosh24

That's what I assumed.

Well, I have no idea how those conversations go.
by IrishJosh24  (2018-01-10 19:00:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it strikes me as a bit odd that the head coach of Ohio State would talk about why he would never coach at Notre Dame with a recruit considering those two schools, especially if that were the reason.

I don't know. Maybe it's not weird.

not weird at all. Negative recruiting part of the game *
by jt  (2018-01-10 19:05:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It doesn't seem very effective for that purpose.
by IrishJosh24  (2018-01-10 19:09:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Don't go there. My wife doesn't like it!"

Possible the Nelsons asked
by Inspectorclouseau  (2018-01-11 09:46:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if he'd leave for any other job(s).

More like "Don't go there. South Bend sucks"
by Queensman  (2018-01-10 19:20:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty common tactic, and often probably quite effective.

Right and probably introduced in a way that was engaging
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-11 10:55:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and conversational and friendly and did not appear to be negatively recruiting but just a coach speaking to his life experiences and the things his place has to offer. But the point he's trying to have the recruit leave with is that South Bend is a dump.