Also golf. Good teachers aren't necessarily great players *
by BigEND (2018-01-17 14:01:03)

In reply to: Football coaching is a strange world  posted by bmoreirish

This user did not provide content for this post

Todd Haley played golf in college.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-01-17 16:46:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That, of course, made him eminently qualified to coach football.

Or not...

He did just put up 42 points in the playoffs.
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-17 16:53:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the Steelers' best regular season record under Tomlin. And had the best offensive run for the Steelers in decades.

And he took over a 2 win Chiefs team and then won 4 and 10 (thanks in large part to Weis) before being fired at 5-8 midway through a 7-9 campaign.

And his Cardinals offense was stellar. So yes, I'd say he's a pretty good football coach.

He wasn't canned because he couldn't run an offense
by steelhop  (2018-01-18 08:53:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In a sport filled with raging assholes, he stood out as a huge asshole. He was also fired for off field reasons. The final nail in the coffin was him breaking his hip after getting in a fight on NYE. The Rooney's were done dealing with his crap.

It was stellar but had mind numbingly bad decisions. I knew the Steelers were in trouble the minute he opened up the 1st offensive series in empty backfield. I turned to my friend and said "didn't he learn anything from the last meeting."