It’s an indictment of Kelly’s recruiting failures
by Jvan (2018-03-06 17:50:31)

In reply to: Why was Tranquil moved from rover?  posted by PattyMulligan

It’s a shame to move a veteran from his best position because you don’t have capable replacements for other linebackers who have graduated. Any story suggesting this was done to enhance his NFL prospects is just smoke.

Notre Dame football conspiracy theorist! awesome. *
by celtic745  (2018-03-08 14:31:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should we embrace "and" on this one?
by rockmcd  (2018-03-07 14:47:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The part about recruiting failures at LB seems self-evident. But as a 5th year senior, Tranquil had options. If Tranquil himself doesn't think this improves his NFL prospects, why would he agree to it?

You assume he had a choice to remain at rover
by Jvan  (2018-03-07 21:59:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The kid is a consummate team player, and will do what he is told.

I assume his role was discussed before he decided
by rockmcd  (2018-03-07 23:18:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to stay for his 5th year and decline his options to go into NFL draft or transfer to another school for his 5th year. Isn't that standard operating procedure?

Also consider that Lea was promoted to DC about a week before the deadline to apply for the draft. So that would logically give rise to a 2nd conversation about Tranquill's role while he still had time to decide (if Drue felt it was important). Despite Kelly being an a-hole, I think the idea that he pulled some kind of Machiavellian bait-and-switch is kind of unlikely under the circumstances.

The most logical conclusion, in my amateur opinion, is that Drue probably doesn't believe that a move to LB hurts his NFL chances.

Thanks for the answer. *
by PattyMulligan  (2018-03-06 22:17:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holtz said never move a starter to fill a hole. It just
by btd  (2018-03-06 20:15:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leaves two spots down instead of one.

I'm sure you've realized Kelly is no Holtz *
by goirish89  (2018-03-06 20:20:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's not 1988 anymore *
by jt  (2018-03-06 20:58:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post