We play USC twice? That's innovation!
by tdiddy07 (2018-03-07 11:42:54)
Edited on 2018-03-07 12:05:05

In reply to: ND schedule is a ridiculous embarrassment  posted by ccb

Assuming you meant MSU, though, OSU just played that scheduled last year.

It played UM, MSU, OU, Penn State, Wisconsin. That was a more difficult schedule than ours this year. And it went 4-1 against them. It missed the playoffs because it was blasted by Iowa.

In 2015, Bama played Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Georgia, A&M, LSU, Miss. St., Florida. All were ranked when they played. Five finished the season ranked. The other two had 2017 Michigan-esque seasons. Three finished with 10 wins. And that doesn't count Auburn, whose 7-6 record was better than FSU's last year.

If playing teams that last year finished unranked, unranked, 15th, 20th, and 12th strikes fear in your heart, then you should see a doctor.

You could look at it another way though.
by ND05VA  (2018-03-08 12:01:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe tOSU didn't miss the playoffs because of the Iowa blasting, but because they scheduled OU instead of Kent State. I know we'll never know for certain, but I suspect they would have been in with only the loss to Iowa. Just a thought.

I guess this thread wasn't started as a joke
by NDAtty  (2018-03-07 15:07:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"unranked, unranked, 15th, 20th, and 12th"

No chance to compete against the likes of that.

If the team has about a 50% chance of winning each of those games, as the original posted suggested, why would such deserve a shot at the national championship? Seems they would be more like a 20th ranked team.

Michigan St was 15th but Irish play unranked Michigan in '18 *
by jbrown_9999  (2018-03-07 15:21:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My mistake. Let's swap Va. Tech. with MSU.
by tdiddy07  (2018-03-07 15:26:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So instead of playing last year's 15th ranked team, we play the 25th ranked team. Unranked, unranked, 25th, 20th, 12th. Murderer's row.

This is the perfect example of why you need to schedule 3-4 real tier 1 schools and some high tier 2 schools. You never know who will have a down year or face a coaching transition. You still have Stanford riding an abnormal high that will not likely continue through another coaching transition and FSU on a downswing.