That doesn't make them elite
by HTownND (2018-03-08 10:58:11)
Edited on 2018-03-08 10:59:04

In reply to: VT has been a top 20 program for 20+ years.  posted by Giggity_Giggity

And doesn't make playing them elite, or our schedule elite.

Who has had a better 20 years, VaTech or LSU?

PS - we're talking about 2019, not 2018

LSU, but it's been closer than you think.
by chicagond99  (2018-03-08 11:59:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Over the last 20 years, LSU has been 184-71, with 1.5 National Championships, 6 top 10 finishes, and 15 ranked finishes overall.

V Tech has been 180-69, with 0 NCs (obviously the big differentiator here), 6 top 10 finishes, and 15 ranked finishes overall.

V Tech really fell during Beamer's last 4 seasons, with them all being unrankes 7-6-ish finishes. I think they're back on track now, as they were solid - and ranked - under their new coach last year. And I think they'll be preseason ranked right around LSU (probably a bit higher) this year.

Players currently in the NFL: LSU 55, VT 16
by ndhouston  (2018-03-08 18:57:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Tigahs have access to a far better league, and they normally have far better talent than just about any program in the nation.

Would you be OK with Cal on the schedule then?
by chicagond99  (2018-03-08 23:06:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And their 36 NFL players?

Actually I'm ok with VT -
by ndhouston  (2018-03-09 02:02:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that they are a top-25 program and including them on the schedule makes the ND schedule stronger. My main reaction was to the comparison with LSU. In comparison to Virginia Tech, LSU regularly plays in a much tougher league against a much tougher schedule, and they have much better players at almost every position on the field.

Funny thing about the "#of players in the pros" stat: LSU seems to have a lead on this against everyone. Only Florida and Miami are close. Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State and USC have 45 or 50 players currently active. ND has around 40. And FWIW, Cal isn't the only Pac-12 team with unusually high number of pro players. Stanford, Oregon, and UCLA have similar numbers, each around 35.

I also think Va Tech is more likely to finished ranked. *
by tdiddy07  (2018-03-08 12:08:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sure
by HTownND  (2018-03-08 12:02:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But which game would you be excited about, LSU or VaTech?

(and as an ND fan, right now, I'd say VaTech because we've played LSU a few times recently)

But if we hadn't played either in the past 20 years and you asked me who would be a more "elite" opponent or better opponent, I'd say LSU.

True
by chicagond99  (2018-03-08 13:38:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree....normally I'd say LSU, but since we've oddly played them so much, I'd now say V Tech for ND.

I'm just saying that I think V Tech is an exciting game as well. Plus, I've heard that's a great place to go to a game at.