This is an astonishingly biased and uninformed post.
by Papa November (2018-03-08 23:32:56)
Edited on 2018-03-08 23:34:59

In reply to: It’s a mixed bag  posted by carroll2005

First, I agree manual pelvic floor therapy is almost never necessary. But that's because any attempt to resolve issues with muscles from the muscle itself ignores the reality that muscles are only responding to afferent signalling and/or the misprocessing of afferent information in the brain.

If I poke you in the hand with a pin, your biceps will contract. If the brain continues to think you're being poked in the hand due to bad afferents, the biceps will remain in a state of contraction. It will hurt. Manual therapy on the biceps may bring relief, but probably will not solve the problem. The problem is in the hand, the source of the bad afferent causing the biceps to contract.

The same is true for the pelvic floor. It is mostly responding to the afferents from the golgi tendon organs in the sacrotuberous, sacrospinous, sacrococcygeal, and other pelvic ligaments. If you want the pelvic floor to function properly, you fix the ligament afferents. But there is most certainly an anatomical justification for attempting to release/calm/lengthen/soften/relax the pelvic floor muscles. They anchor and control the entire sacrum, and they allow for proper coordination of the entire breathing apparatus by managing intra-abdominal pressure.

And calling cranial manipulation quackery is ignorant at best and wilfully, obtusely biased at worst. Feel free to come into my office and I'll happily demonstrate how I can pick and choose which muscles to shut off in your body by manipulation of the cranial sutures. It is possible to literally feel these bones shifting against one another just by putting your hands on someone's head. If you don't have the palpatory skill to do so, that isn't justification for the condemnation of an entire field of care.

Finally, no, manipulation is not the only justification D.O. schools have for remaining separate from M.D.'s. From day one, students are operating under an entirely different philosophy of healing. If you don't think that makes a difference, even if ultimately using the same tool set as an M.D., then I'm not really sure what to say.

I apologize if this comes off the wrong way, but man it gets old seeing people bash healing modalities they really don't know anything about.

Replies: