the entire spring on install?
by jt (2018-04-18 17:08:51)

In reply to: Same system, same terminology, same techniques.  posted by tusk

That's laughable.

Quite honestly, defensive schemes are simply not that complex unless you hire some jackwagon like BVG.

A 4-3 front is going to have very basic techniques, gap responsibilities, and assignments to go along with the back end coverages. Blitz and stunt calls are relatively easy to install.

You are DRAMATICALLY overstating the case. I'm sure you're taking the line from the recruitnik boards, but you should be much more careful moving forward and not just believe everything you read from those clowns.

Entire spring is hyperbole, I admit.
by tusk  (2018-04-19 14:41:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just happen to think that all things considered, the Lea hire was not an unreasonable hire. You seem to disagree, which is fine. Given your background, I respect your opinion. I'm no fan of Kelly and thought he should have been bounced after the disaster that was 2016, but unlike too many on this board, I try not to let my distaste for Kelly be my sole guide concerning the program, assistant coach hires, etc. I'm not obsessed with being one of the Rock's House cool kids, and I don't fear being tagged a "Kellylover." (That last sentence was not directed at you.) In any event, we'll see how the Lea hire works out. I think he has some traits (to borrow a worn out Kellyism) that could lead one to reasonably believe he can be successful at ND. Like I said, we'll see.

By the way, I'm too cheap to subscribe to any recruitnik sites.

I never said anything about the hire
by jt  (2018-04-19 17:05:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the stuff about install for defense is completely off. Defense is nowhere near as complex by nature (reaction based) and certain things are going to be constant. Now, if he had gone with a bullshit hire like BVG, I would agree that it would take longer, but that's because those schemes (like the Ryan's) rely heavily on bullshit/hero scheme stuff and are very unlikely to be successful at the college level. For basic defense, however, there are only so many ways to run an even/base front or an over/under and there are really only so many coverage combinations and they really don't differentiate much by coordinator. Defense is mainly about disguise and react.

For offense, you would have a point about it taking the entire spring; in fact, it would take longer than that.

You're right.
by tusk  (2018-04-20 10:01:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And if I assumed something about your view of the hire that is incorrect, I apologize.