RIP Greg Marx- Notre Dame ‘73- Detroit Catholic Central ‘68
by Jammer (2018-10-06 11:25:14)

Greg was an All-American & Captain at ND in 1972. He was also an Academic All-American.
He was drafted by the Atlanta Falcolns.

Note: (1) He put a clause in his Falcons contract that they would pay for Law School for Greg when he was done with the NFL. Greg graduated from the Notre Dame Law School.

Note: (2) I was fortunate to tailgate with Greg & his Bank VP before the 1988 - ND-Miami -Catholics vs Convicts game. He was running 26 mile Marsthons during that time & he weighed about 225lbs.

Note: (3) Greg would have been at the Detroit CC Boys Bowl Weekend next Sunday in Novi as his class is celebrating their 50 Year HS Reunion. In 2008, he was inducted into the Detroit Catholic Central Athletic “Hall of Fame!”
RIP Greg!

This is sad. I knew Greg well. Had many classes
by Odschool  (2018-10-06 19:30:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with him. We played the left side of the infield for Fr. Brennan's Language and Logic class. We never got to play the Osceola Giants despite the good Father's promises. RIP Greg

Are you a CC grad? I heard he was sick for while. *
by domer4  (2018-10-06 17:58:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

CC-78-A few years ago Greg had a seizure on an escalator
by Jammer  (2018-10-06 20:07:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and he fell down to the bottom of the escalator.; quite a few feet- Since then Greg has faced many challenges.
RIP Greg!

He also attended the same Catholic Grade as I had in Detroit - St Scholastica.

Very sorry to hear. I will never forget him pointing
by ndbob79  (2018-10-06 12:32:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his finger at the USC offense after a skirmish. If I remember correctly, the benches emptied for a brawl that day.

If I recall, SC alleged ND had a late hit that started it.
by other_guy  (2018-10-06 13:46:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Marx was in the middle of it. He was a excellent defensive player, and if I remember had lined at both DE and DT in his career. Way too young to lose him. Rest in peace Greg.

Here is a video of the brawl....
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-10-06 14:20:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

USC claimed Marx started it with a cheap shot--but looks like Marx may have thought John Vella(another #75) dove onto an ND player unnecessarily:

One of Ara's best.
by Fresno Mike  (2018-10-06 11:41:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a helluva lot of fun watching the Irish back then...when their Dline was very, very good almost every year. RIP Greg.

DLs coached by Joe Yonto ... great coach. *
by JC  (2018-10-06 14:13:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post