absolutely
by jt (2018-10-15 18:40:39)

In reply to: That sounds like something which can be improved...  posted by El Kabong

he just needs to learn to feel the defense better; just because a guy is "there" doesn't mean that the wr is covered. Need to see beyond jersey color and into body positioning, etc. Also, needs to understand that he needs to make the entire read and not just assume that the primary route is going to be open.

This is all on tape now--understand, I didn't watch the game so I cannot speak to exactly what Pitt was doing but I can see on this play what the confusion likely was. My guess is that teams will start to overplay the primary read and force Book to go to his second and sometimes third options. I think that the coaching staff also needs to do a good job of scheming things correctly so the defense doesn't just know what we're going to do based on their coverage pre snap and our formation/personnel grouping. We can't be baited into doing what they want us to do.

Going back to the play call
by Kayo  (2018-10-16 06:26:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and away from the execution.

Your description makes it seem like the play called wasn't one that Book executes well yet. It might be a successful play when Book is more experienced, and the only way he's going to learn to read it correctly is to run it in games.

However, giving Book a play that challenges his coverage reading skills on fourth down in a close game seems like a bad idea to me. The call on 4th and short might be sheer genius a year from now, but it wasn't a good idea on Saturday.

I think that this has resulted in multiple wide open td's
by athlete37  (2018-10-15 21:42:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this year. Book has shown the ability to throw back to Boykin/Kmet and like you guys said will continue to progress toward more consistently doing that (*any BK QB regression aside).