I don't think they are great
by ACross (2018-12-13 18:24:22)
Edited on 2018-12-13 20:27:04

In reply to: On uniforms  posted by HTownND

I prefer non-Huffy gold for the helmets and non-Guldens gold for the pants

I agree on the pants
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 09:37:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But relative to the way the paint looked on the new helmets before the change it’s far superior to what we had immediately before the change.

The reality is that helmet technology has changed (and will continue to change).

Getting your preferred Pantone on the new helmet designs is impossible.

You don’t have to love them, but most people agree they are better helmets than at the link

had they quit painting them by then? *
by ACross  (2018-12-14 10:44:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 10:58:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because it wasn't sticking to the new helmet materials.

I used to think it was BS, much like our "turf", and the failure of paint to stick was just an excuse to gussy things up.

But it turns out a friend of ours works for Riddell, and we talked through helmet changes "since I wore one" and specifically about the trouble ND was having with the paint (it wasn't just Riddell, Schutt and everyone else were having the same problem with our helmets and paint).

Now, could they have gone with less "sparkle" or something else? Sure, but I'm glad they did something because the other ones were shit. You may not think they are the right ones, but I still contend it's better than it was.

I have to think a solution could be found
by ACross  (2018-12-14 12:40:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some sort of primer, etc. Even if not, I just think the new paint is too sheap looking.

There's actually a good article out there
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 14:07:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why the old paint didn't work anymore. You have two options with helmets. Create/make the plastic in the color/style you want (and either buff it to a shine or keep it matte), or paint them.

We choose to paint, so do many schools. The new materials don't hold paint the same way the old helmets did. This isn't unique to ND. They had to change the process, because by the end, with the new helmets, and our old paint, it looked like shit.

Did they have to pick the exact gold they did, via hydrographics? No, but it's still better than what we had immediately before.

You dwell in a cohort of one on this
by crazychester  (2018-12-14 14:03:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The old helmets were dull/cheap looking at best and befitting a poorly funded Pop Warner team at worst.

It was a nice story about the managers painting them from week to week but technology passed them by.

I think you miscast my position
by ACross  (2018-12-14 14:44:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't like the current helmet. I think the gold looks cheesy. Which is not to say that its immediate predecessor was the gold standard, so to speak.

And the trousers are really bad.

When you say old helmets
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 14:09:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you talking about our helmets right before we changed to hydrographics, or are you going farther back?

We will differ if that is your take on these:

I much prefer those pantaloons *
by ACross  (2018-12-14 14:46:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same *
by ColoNDFan  (2018-12-14 16:10:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 15:17:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The yellow/mustard looking ones we currently wear don't look good, in person, or on TV.

What is actually somewhat comical about that, is the pant color is "retro" in the sense it's much closer to what we wore in the 60s and 70s than what we wore in the 80s and 90s.

They look like they were shat out of a bag *
by ACross  (2018-12-14 15:19:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bing! *
by Irish Tool  (2018-12-14 16:09:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 14:15:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe I read somewhere, during the Jimbo Fisher era, they switched to how their helmets are prepared as well, and it's much more in line with how we do it, because they had the same problems.