I applaud the Bonger for not only a well written piece
by jt (2019-01-11 16:10:46)

In reply to: See below.  posted by jerseyirish07

but the ability to stay above the fray on this one.

I think John was a freaking Baghdad Bob and I resented all of the manufactured hype that he would use to shine the turd (first ND coach ever with 8 wins in his first 5 seasons! and other like bullshit).

War and peace
by Khaddafi  (2019-01-13 10:18:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m with Bonger.

As to the Baghdad Bob analogy, sports information and the media business at the university level do not rise to the level of such comparisons/hyperbole.

Is someone supposed to resign instead of supervising the production of pieces that mostly connect fans and families with the exploits of young men and women? Sure, “first back to back shitty bowls in 20 years” is a piss poor set of facts upon which to write like Red Smith.

Yet sometimes, you simply have no alternative but to put lipstick on a pig (see, Charlie Weis, Brian Kelly, et al.) and embrace hope - something other than the reality of more Weis-Ian suckitude.

That’s the deal. It’s neither about war and piece nor criticizing those who were hired by others or with whom you may have private disagreements.

Baghdad Bob is good tag line on a bumper sticker, but it bears no resemblance or relationship to John Heisler the professional or the person who devoted 40+ years to ND.

The targets of our collective madness, frustration and anger remain in charge at the athletic department, the Board of Trustees, the Dome, etc.

sure, I don't wish the guy ill will *
by jt  (2019-01-13 12:55:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed. But if the Golden Goose would actually lay the
by Papa November  (2019-01-11 17:05:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

occasional egg and take some Imodium, his job would have been a lot easier. And I certainly don't hold anything against the man for doing his job.

well, if you're going to hold water for those kinds of guys
by jt  (2019-01-11 17:54:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than it is only fitting that they would turn on you at some point as well.

Indeed. *
by Papa November  (2019-01-11 20:31:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post