I would like to proceed.
by Jwill77 (2019-01-22 19:25:31)

In reply to: I'm going to guess that if we were to have a scheme  posted by jt

My desire to better understand is endless.

what do you want to know?
by jt  (2019-01-22 19:38:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In this particular situation you can have multiple threats in running the ball from a variety of different formations and personnel groupings. It doesn't have to be power I/wishbone/T etc. type of stuff. I would also add that the vast majority of teams have these concepts in their playbook.

I noticed that in another post below
by jwill77  (2019-01-22 20:18:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you described threatening the defense both on the edges and up the middle, regardless of personnel grouping (10, 11...). I know you've also mentioned previously jet sweep motions as an important piece to a shotgun-based offense, and from context I'm gathering that the threat of the jet sweep combined with the threat of the back running a dive/inside zone/trap is a method to accomplish the edge/middle threat.

Would it be fair to say that's phase 1, with misdirections like counters off the same look as phase 2? What other types of misdirection would be effective? And does this concept translate to the passing game? Is BK's passing attack also only focused on the edges of the field?

Like most people (i assume), I generally watch the ball during a game and focus on the outcome of a play, not the specifics of the play. I'm not usually paying attention to whether the ball was thrown outside the numbers, inside the numbers, inside the hashes, etc. Is the lack of a middle threat also a factor in the passing game in BK's offense?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

lots of ways to do counter/trap/misdirection
by jt  (2019-01-22 21:46:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one such play would have the jet sweep motion with a fake to the sweep and then a counter back to where the motion started by either the qb or the running back.

Basically the answer to your question depends on how involved you want to make your qb in the running game. I think that it is imperative to have a second running threat from either the backfield or the slot (and if you have three it is even better). Forcing the defense to defend the entire field in the running game is very effective; defend the jet sweep, defend the inside running game, and then defend the counters/traps off of that action.

The Rams do an excellent job of this, especially with their jet sweep look. In the NFL you absolutely have to freeze those linebackers for a second to free up lanes inside and to open up the play action game.

Also helps if you don't always run the same play when a
by btd  (2019-01-22 22:33:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

specific player comes into the game or lines up in a specific spot -- which historically Kelly does a lot of in the form of a RB/WR he puts in specifically to fake a sweep every time -- or rarely actually run it (not enough to bother actually worrying about the one time they run it) or a TE that is absolutely never, ever, ever going to be thrown the ball.

The broader question is WTF actually is going through Kelly's head? Seriously -- how can he possibly not see that he has to make these simple and fundamental changes to the offense?

It took him 2.5 years to finally admit defense matters and BVG was a disaster -- or Jack stepped in and fired him. How the F after 9 failed seasons and 100% complete and total failure offensively in every single game against an elite team can't Kelly or freaking Jack if need be not see that the offense has to change?