Delany retiring at Big Ten
by UpperEastSideIrish (2019-03-05 11:27:06)

I've always found him to be someone who would destroy college athletics to make a buck. He's turned the Big Ten into a hodgepodge of teams that have no relation to one another and destroyed the traditional feel of his league. He also hates ND. Generally, I think he did more bad than good for college athletics. He started the random conference forming binge when he took Nebraska from the Big XII, where they belong.

This article makes an interesting point, though - the new guard (whom I'm sure will be just as greedy as Delany) wants an expanded College Football playoff. I would strongly oppose that. The "every game matters" feel of the regular season is unique to college football. 4 teams solved many of the problems of the BCS while keeping almost all of that "you can't drop a game" feel. It's working fine. It shouldn't be changed so UCF gets to travel to Tuscaloosa and get blown out or the third best team in the SEC clamors for the final playoff spot after a 9-3 season.

Delany's real legacy is felt by sports fans everywhere.
by akaRonMexico  (2019-03-05 14:27:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No more Texas/Texas A&M.
No more Nebraska/Oklahoma.
No more Syracuse/G Town in basketball
Irish fans miss basketball rivalries with Marquette and DePaul.
Not to mention the loss of basic principles of math (Big 10 has 14 teams, Big 12 has 10 teams)

All for the glorification of some shitty tv network and the chance to watch Maryland play Rutgers!
Seriously fuck that guy sideways with a cactus. May he, and Big Ten fans everywhere rot in hell with Paterno and Bo!

Delany was bad for college football. Jack Swofford of ACC
by SWPaDem  (2019-03-05 12:06:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

too. They along with our own money grubbing AD have indeed succeeded in making the regular season much less than what it could be (can't wait for the Marshall game). At least they can count their filthy lucre which was the code that they lived by.

Great post, by the way.

Good article, except
by Pat85  (2019-03-05 11:49:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the comment "an 8-team playoff....would enhance the value of the regular season...". Not sure how adding teams to the playoff enhances the value of the regular season, and it most certainly diminishes the quality of the regular season, as more teams (and conferences) weaken their non-conference schedules.

Delaney made the BIG a lot of money, but if/when the cable industry finally reconfigures, it will be interesting to see how that shakes out in the longterm, with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State only getting an equal 1/14th share of their brand value, the same as Rutgers, and Maryland.