I'm totally against this
by UpperEastSideIrish (2019-03-13 16:02:50)

In reply to: bill to be introduced Thursday that would re-define  posted by jt

This is just a way for schools to funnel money to kids. They'll find them autograph shows, commercials, endorsements - whatever in order to get them paid.

Either you're an amateur or you're not.

Schools already funnel money to players and their families
by BigNDfan  (2019-03-13 22:43:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Via boosters. Who cares at this point.

somehow that doesn't happen in the NFL
by jt  (2019-03-13 22:55:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder why?

I'm 100% for it.
by sb  (2019-03-13 21:23:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The athletes aren't amateurs and haven't been for a long time. They are employees of the universities and should be entitled to whatever compensation they can get.

The problem is you are talking about a select few.
by DomerJon  (2019-03-13 22:21:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that is where people get lost on this. What are you really talking about maybe a 100 kids that are gonna benefit. You gonna pay the qb from eastern Michigan anything? I sure wouldn't.

how is that a problem?
by jt  (2019-03-13 22:33:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that you can't see the forest through the trees.

That's not the problem, that's the benefit--the market will determine who gets the endorsement deals and there isn't going to be some shady bagman willing to pay the 5th string center 50k for an autograph.

The bagman stuff you mentioned wont stop anyway .
by DomerJon  (2019-03-13 22:46:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now they just say hey we're gonna pay you above board and under the table! You can hear them now in the SEC, okay guys, we can stop cheating now. Good try though.

perhaps, but for the schools like ND and Northwestern
by jt  (2019-03-13 22:54:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and places where they are serious about academics the kids won't have to completely go without and I would argue that the qb/star player at ND would have even more demand as a pitchman than most other schools.

Surely any school that can find $400M+ to add club seats
by jbrown_9999  (2019-03-14 18:23:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and has long lines at their bookstore every gameday, will have opportunities for some of their athletes to profit from their likenesses if that becomes allowed by the NCAA.

anything for the lads! *
by jt  (2019-03-14 19:40:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You make a lot of good points. I just get worried
by DomerJon  (2019-03-14 08:08:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That it could get out of hand I guess.

I would imagine that the ability for everyone to get paid
by jt  (2019-03-14 11:28:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will likely mean that very few actually will.

It's not already out of hand? *
by ndzippy  (2019-03-14 09:53:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was my thought as well. $50k to put the starting QB
by DomerJon  (2019-03-13 16:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on a banner around campus! sounds like a fair price to me. 100K at Bama! Schools will now have sales teams selling sponsorships to pay the players. sounds like a great idea!

actually, that does kind of sound like a fair price
by jt  (2019-03-13 16:46:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if someone wanted to pay you 50k to put your image and likeness on a banner somewhere would you turn it down?

I will also note that you guys didn't make it to the end of the article (or the end of my post) where they discuss being able to find limits for this.