Deep thoughts
by SEE (2019-04-15 20:28:13)
Edited on 2019-04-15 21:51:44

The most encouraging or discouraging aspect of the spring game was the run blocking. The OL opened up some big holes. Encouraging because a more nimble Kraemer is a very good thing. Hainsey is a rock (he played injured last year.) Banks has all the physical tools to be as good as any guard. The best news is that Patterson isn't swimming out there at center. It's discouraging because if the run blocking is good, the run stopping isn't.

Book was good and accurate and threw one long ball. Thought it was interesting that ND has morphed into a spread screen team ala Clemson after the ass beating in Dallas. Both teams stretch you horizontally with quick outs, the difference between Book and Trevor Lawrence is the ability to see the field and hit the deep balls. They're both highly proficient at the quick outs. Book is trying to throw more deep balls, but...

I continue to like Jahmir Smith, he's a three star kid no doubt, but a hard runner with good feet. I suspect he's going to get a lot of carries this year unless Tony Jones keeps him off the field. He's a really good back. Kyren Williams makes me laugh. He's like a little Bettis with even lighter feet. Of course, part of what made Bettis good was that he was big, but Williams is going to be a pain in the ass.

Tough to see what everyone was talking about with regard to the wide receivers. Claypool did look good.

The DEs are so good you wonder if they're wearing the right jerseys. ND has struggled mightily recruiting Ends over the years. Hayes, Okwara, Ade and Kareem are four kids who could start on any team that doesn't have paws or digits on their helmets.

I just don't see the greatness in the tackles. Hinish looks like you inflated a linebacker. I think this will be the achilles heal of the team.

I continue to think Simon and Lamb have the most talent at inside linebacker. Simon looked a lot better than the practice reports. If he puts it together, look out.

It would appear that we're going to be "challenged" at Griffith's corner spot.

Kicking and punting were a given last year, they won't be this year.

Replies: