I'd expect the Cotton Bowl to move to that January 1 slot *
by ShermanOaksND (2019-05-14 11:07:05)

In reply to: The 2020 Orange Bowl is now the 2019 Orange Bowl.  posted by G.K.Chesterton

This user did not provide content for this post

Cotton Bowl in Dallas is hosting NHL Winter Classic that day
by JimmyIrish  (2019-05-14 12:32:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dallas Stars vs. Nashville Predators at noon CT.

Granted, the Cotton Bowl Game is at AT&T Stadium. So stadium availability isn't the issue. But I'm not sure that the Cotton Bowl Game and the Dallas community would want these two marquee events happening simultaneously.

What if it's 75 and sunny? *
by domer4  (2019-05-14 21:52:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They've played games in LA outdoors
by Steelhop  (2019-05-15 13:49:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NHL has the ice down to a science. The biggest issue is rain.

Yeah - That's why the one in Pittsburgh was nixed *
by bluengold07  (2019-05-16 15:39:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was once, and it was at night
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-05-15 17:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I recall, the temperature was in the 60s, but the main asset was not having the sun glaring on the ice. The 2019 Winter Classic at ND, which I attended, had ideal weather for the event -- cloudy, dry, and in the 30s. That was similar to the weather in Arlington for the Cotton Bowl three days earlier. It's very unlikely to be in the 70s in Dallas on January 1, but the main things to avoid are the extremes of bright sunshine and rain.

Good point *
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-05-14 21:28:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post