Thanks, and some responses
by NJIrish04 (2019-05-21 09:48:42)

In reply to: First of all, let me be clear, I am very proud of  posted by TCIrish03

I figured you were proud of it and where it's gotten you - based on prior posting I think you have a PhD and work in a lab, and I'm sure the degree helped you with getting into a good graduate program. I do wonder whether the University would have risen to its current level (that you and I as early to mid 2000s grads have benefited from professionally) if it was still under the direction of the clergy in the same way it was pre-Land o Lakes. I don't think so and I think LoL helped elevate the school academically.

I've only been on here for the past 4 years or so I don't have your tenure. Perhaps that's why its not clear to me what the CFC is/was.

I agree that the faith shouldn't be right wing or left wing but I think we can agree that there are right wing and left wing groups that operate within or alongside the faith. I think a further look at Reilly and the Newman Society shows that both are right wing and I stand by my characterization of them as such.

W/r/t the Obama invite - as you note, you were opposed to it and Jenkins' handling of it. We disagree, but that's fine. But why in God's name would it be relevant to critique Hesburgh for the Obama invite besides as a way of getting a swipe in at a person and place that Reilly doesn't like? It's not relevant - again, why I saw the piece as a right wing hit job. As I noted, other articles posted had a balanced take and while critical of Hesburgh, didn't bring in the Obama invite as some sort of gotcha.

And I know you're no defender of the bishops, but isn't that all the more reason to support a declaration that brings a school that we both love and have benefited from out from under their thumb?