Moving a player to a medical scholarship who has doesn't
by tdiddy07 (2019-06-11 12:06:14)

In reply to: Preparing to be pelted with empties..  posted by enduff

have a career-threatening injury should be prohibited by the NCAA. Because it is a bad-faith way for wealthier athletic departments to game scholarship limitations. Accordingly, Notre Dame shouldn't do it.

This is a player that was buried on the depth chart, and I haven't heard a whiff of injury problems throughout spring ball. While I don't believe this move harms the kid and isn't wrong for any duty the school owes to the kid, it should be viewed as cheating under NCAA rules.

Kelly announced...
by BigNDfan  (2019-06-11 12:19:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he was having a medical procedure a few weeks ago and it was unlikely that he'd be able to play in the Fall.

Thanks. That's a relevant addition.
by tdiddy07  (2019-06-11 16:56:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although as noted below, under the circumstances, that doesn't strike me as a career-threatening injury that should implicate a medical hardship scholarship.

On its face, that does not sound career-threatening *
by Emil  (2019-06-11 13:45:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Legally Kelly and ND can’t describe the extent of any injury
by Btd  (2019-06-12 07:07:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sans permission from the player. So, if he has a broken neck or a broken pinky they have to largely just make a general statement.