I vehemently disagree with pulling a player's scholarship
by Jvan (2019-06-12 12:19:23)

In reply to: To be honest, I don't see that as an abuse.  posted by KeoughCharles05

....as a matter of football related performance and absent any health, discipline or academic issues. It's in the noise? Shame on you.

agree. All of these things are lined up against the athlete
by jt  (2019-06-12 17:05:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

early signing dates, LOI, not being able to leave if a coach leaves, etc.

It's all to make the school and fans happy.

His premise was not that it would be pulled.
by tdiddy07  (2019-06-12 12:39:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that it would be transferred to a non-athletic scholarship to fulfill the academic commitment ND made the player. I don't see anything wrong in terms of the school's personal commitment to the player. But it's an obvious bad-faith evasion of NCAA scholarship limitations. And the NCAA should more closely enforce manipulating medical scholarships. Particularly when it is offered to a player who then gets cleared to play elsewhere without much difficulty.

doesn't his way just remove the scholarship limits?
by ram  (2019-06-12 15:49:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and favor the teams with the most money?

It might
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-06-13 13:04:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that's not a concern about player welfare. That's a concern about abiding by NCAA rules. I don't give a flying fuck about NCAA rules as such. They're arbitrary and meaningless.

Yes, effectively. Which is the bigger concern to me. *
by tdiddy07  (2019-06-12 15:53:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That practice just begs to be abused by coaches *
by Jvan  (2019-06-12 13:45:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems easy to draw a thick line between injuries/conditions
by 1NDGal  (2019-06-12 16:32:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that prevent playing FB and coaches’ decisions that the New Kid is better so byeee.

For example, Corey Robinson. He decided he liked his brain after having two (three?) concussions. Medical scholarship, finish your degree, go with God.

A licensed medical professional would have to lie, jeopardizing their entire career, in order to enable a school to abuse that rule. The kid blew his knee or he didn’t. He is at risk of paralysis from one more hit (Danny Spond, we will love you forever) or he isn’t.

I'm not talking about injuries
by Jvan  (2019-06-12 19:36:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm talking about cutting a healthy player from the team because he didn't turn out to be as good as the coaches thought when they recruited him.

I hear you on that. It’s a very Alabama thing to do. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-06-12 21:30:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

News flash *
by ACross  (2019-06-13 00:11:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post