LB recruiting really isn't that concerning..
by BigNDfan (2019-07-10 08:56:55)

In reply to: LB/DB recruiting is a sore spot for an otherwise good effort  posted by Hanratty5ND

They'll have 12 LBs on the roster in 2020. And that's assuming no position changes. They'll literally be 4 deep at LB. They were only going to take a LB if he was a very top guy.

They chose not to pursue a LB after spring practice. I would imagine they feel pretty good about what they have on the roster.

DB recruiting is a different story. They've been out recruited there.

You are more interested in numbers rather than talent.....
by Wolfetone  (2019-07-10 09:11:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a critical mistake that BK makes. The LB talent is very poor at ND. We will be 4 deep with mediocrities. Why haven't they taken any
"top guys?" You are correct in your DB assessment.

"The LB talent is very poor at ND". Thats BS.
by goldhelmethead  (2019-07-10 10:45:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lamb, Simon, and Bauer is one of the better combined LB hauls in recent memory. All are 4 star guys who are either pushing to start or break the two deep. The entire group will benefit from strong competition this Fall.

While the group over all is inexperienced, they are certainly not without talent and potential.

Very poor relative to what it should be.... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-07-10 10:56:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I disagree that the LB talent is "very poor"
by BigNDfan  (2019-07-10 09:43:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They also don't have limitless scholarships to give out. They have 21 spots this year. They have to make decisions based on need.

And as I mentioned, ND went through spring ball and made the decision that they didn't need to take a LB in 2020. I trust Clark Lea more than I trust you.

ND has some very promising LBs already on the roster and they're very athletic.

tough decisions need to be made
by jt  (2019-07-10 10:25:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we passed on at least one pretty good OL because of it and apparently a LB as well. I'm fine with that as it is part of the game but it just means that our margin for error on the guys that we do take is that much smaller.

If the LB's are so promising/athletic why so lowly rated? *
by Wolfetone  (2019-07-10 10:04:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tranquill and Coney were very good players for ND
by RIBS  (2019-07-10 10:48:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Per 247 Sports, neither was a top-200 recruit. In fact, they were barely top-300. As such, they are permanently branded as "mediocrities".

I think we all agree that it would be better to have top-50 players at every position. But to dismiss high 3-star/low 4-star guys as "mediocrities" before they ever play a down is just dumb. As noted above, ND's best returning DB was also a 3 star. Sure would be nice to have another 3 star guy back in Julian Love. But like Tranquill, he will be playing on Sundays this year. Not bad for guys "so lowly rated".

Obviously I wasn't referring to Coney/Tranquill.... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-07-10 10:52:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How would that be obvious?
by RIBS  (2019-07-10 11:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are dismissing all of the current LB recruits as "mediocrities" and "so lowly-rated" when their profiles are identical to, or in some cases, BETTER than those of Coney, Tranquill, Pride and Love? I am sure we can come up with others.

I'm referencing this years team.....
by Wolfetone  (2019-07-10 11:12:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As Hanratty pointed out we are top heavy with 3-star prospects as a
matter of course. We should have higher rated prospects. Perhaps
mediocrities is too strong a word but LB recruiting needs better than plus 200 talent.

2 of our potential starters (Simon and Lamb) were top 100
by smithwick  (2019-07-10 11:47:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

prospects. Asmar Bilal was top 200. All 3 were four stars. Not saying it's some amazing LB depth chart, but you overstate the case.

The biggest issue this year is the gap between the Elko/Lea prospects and those recruited under BVG; the 2016 and 2017 classes were duds.

wow, BVG didn't do a good job recruiting?
by jt  (2019-07-10 13:22:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

man, who would have guessed?

This year's team.
by RIBS  (2019-07-10 11:45:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ok, let's go with that. Find me the recruiting profile of Gilman and Pride, Notre Dame's best defensive backs. The latter is making some pre-season All-American teams. Let's try Ian Book. No doubt he's among the best at his position. Again, I could go on and on, and we could contrast Gilman, Pride and Book with a bunch of top-100 high school guys. Pride, Gilman and Book would come out ahead. A lot.

Deciding whether a player is ever going to be good (enough) or bad based on a high school profile is absolutely stupid. As JT said, there is less margin for error with a lower-ranked guy, but that doesn't damn the entire position group. See Clemson example above.

Oh, and I love the suggestion that Todd Lyght be put out to pasture. Seems like Love, Pride and Gilman might have been coached up a bit.

When you have a plethora of under recruited prospects....
by Wolfetone  (2019-07-10 12:16:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And are fantasizing that they will be coached up, rememember that
BK has never won a NC or even a major bowl game. History repeats
itself when not addressed. I can't live on maybe,should be,could be
might be,etc. To me that is stupid. Why should ND settle for so
many 3-star players and then hope they are coached up? Sure,one
or two might develop into a good player,but you aren't going to win
a NC with that level of talent.

what about if you have a plethora of pinatas? *
by jt  (2019-07-10 13:35:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the other hand, taking kids based on their Rivals ranking
by smithwick  (2019-07-10 12:25:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

leads to a lot of dead weight as we saw under Charlie.

Based on the play of the linebackers the last two years and the defense last year, Clark Lea has earned some respect. If they don't think a kid, whose brother is on the team and plays at a ND feeder school, is worth the scholarship compared to the guys already on the team, I'm not sure why we wouldn't trust their evaluation. They've obviously scouted this kid extensively and know plenty about him.