I can tell you authoritatively that Fowler does not hate ND.
by 1NDGal (2019-08-22 21:44:52)
Edited on 2019-08-22 21:47:57

In reply to: Why do all fanbases think Herbstreit is “anti” their team?  posted by golfjunkie17

You’re going to have to believe me on this one.

Herbstreit goes to great lengths to champion most B1G schools against ND. And he’s another “they don’t play a conference championship” guy. He doesn’t dislike ND at all (he loves Brady Quinn, e.g.) but he (a former tOSU QB) can be obnoxiously pro-B1G.

Remember the 2002 ND/Air Force game at Colorado Springs?
by Camarillo Brillo  (2019-08-23 07:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Game Day was at that game. ND was undefeated. Air Force was pretty good and may even have been ranked. They were all picking ND to lose that game.

During the game (which Notre Dame won) the camera spotted Chris Fowler on the Air Force sidelines. Wearing an Air Force ball cap.

Fuck Chris Fowler. And that smarmy blow-dried asshole Herbie.

Fowler is from Colorado
by bluengold07  (2019-08-23 12:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And grew up as an Air Force fan.

Don't let facts or other circumstances get in the way
by Exit 77  (2019-08-23 13:05:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of (insert announcer here hates ND)

Well that settles it.
by tdiddy07  (2019-08-23 10:35:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

TV personality wears hat of home team in biggest matchup in school history. Guy must be an asshole. Air Force was, indeed, ranked, and they were undefeated.

No kidding.
by Stonebreaker9  (2019-08-23 11:53:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s not possible that he was just watching from the home team sideline and someone gave him a hat to wear...right?!?

For the record, I have thought Fowler was pretty anti-ND in the past. But I’ll take 1NDGal’s report since she seems to have inside scoop.

My past experience with the tv network crews & ND
by rhodyjack  (2019-08-24 20:48:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Back in the mid-90s, I was the head of marketing at Nokia & we did a great deal of college football activities, including the Nokia Sugar Bowl deal & regular season advertising. I had a chance to spend many days and nights with all the network people, especially ABC & ESPN, at games, bowls, ESPY awards & Super Bowl games. My take isn't as much as they hate ND, but rather we have or at least really had in those days such a brand awareness that was universal & independent of almost anyone else out there. They all gave me crap when they learned I was an ND grad, BUT it always seemed to be fun give - and - take. At the press conference in New Orleans for the Nokia Sugar Bowl sponsorship, Bob Griese couldn't stop needling me about the ND - Purdue rivalry. When I talked to them 1-on-1, they always felt that ND was a special place. It's TV - they need a lightening rod- that is our fate in life & we have to make the best of it.

Total BS. Did you miss out on his 1993 season performance
by Dennis  (2019-08-23 01:02:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in which he went to the mattress to deny ND the championship? If you want to know what someone values or truly hates watch their behavior. He has gone far out of his way to purposely abuse or undermine ND on so many occasions that no "authoritative" belief to the contrary could possibly be valid.

The media stance was, as I recall, all in that direction; I
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-23 07:44:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can’t say more than that.

Championship should have been split.

The championship should not have been split
by LuckyMcD  (2019-08-23 09:17:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We didn't just beat them, we dominated the game. Even a split championship would have been a total injustice.

Bobby Bowden Lifetime Achievement Award *
by knutesteen  (2019-08-23 08:43:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So Herbstreit's pro B1G bias doesn't mean he's anti-ND (or
by HennaOrNo  (2019-08-22 23:23:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

any other school or conference for that matter) ? Just clarifying your point not challenging it.

Yes, that is correct. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-23 07:34:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post