It’s weird. Miami-Florida is tomorrow, but when you go to
by 1NDGal (2019-08-23 09:15:16)

In reply to: So week 1 starts tomorrow?  posted by DakotaDomer

the CFB schedule you see that Week 1 begins Thursday, August 30.

On practicing: based on my understanding, you’re right. Permissible practices are marked backward from the team’s first game. So 2 FCS teams got an extra week of practice? Ya maybe.

Another weird thing is why these teams are playing at all
by LuckyMcD  (2019-08-23 10:13:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When week 0 was brought back a few years ago it was only for teams who were either playing a game overseas or in Hawaii. They reinstituted week 0 to allow travel time or entice teams to play Hawaii (otherwise they would have to play 13 games in 13 weeks). As far as I can tell neither Miami or Florida, and none of the 4 FCS teams, meet the requirements. My guess is TV is continuing its takeover of the sport. ESPN and CBS want games this week, so now they have them. NCAA regulations be damned.

Your guess is correct
by IrishLep  (2019-08-23 23:38:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There’s no question that this Week 0 is only happening because of television (mainly ESPN). If these games were not to be televised, then there would be no Week 0

NCAA granted them a waiver to play this weekend
by Kmurphy173  (2019-08-23 20:06:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The idea was conceived by ESPN last December as an official kickoff to the 150th year of college football, but of course they had to work within the purview of the NCAA in order to make it happen.

Shocking that the waiver was approved
by LuckyMcD  (2019-08-24 11:42:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course this morning's Gameday was basically a long commercial for Star Wars land at Disneyworld. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I much preferred when the NCAA at least put up a facade of not selling out.

Meanwhile, Rutgers is honoring the anniversary by playing away games on either end of the anniversary. Princeton is at least attempting to commemorate it, playing at Yankee Stadium in a game that very well could decide the Ivy League title.

Because when I think 150 year old football
by DakotaDomer  (2019-08-23 22:51:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Miami vs Florida

There has to be at least 40 older D1 programs