What is bothersome about the Georgia game
by srock (2019-09-23 11:15:36)

is that, even given the limitations of the team and the scheme, it is a game we should have won. The players were ready. They were not intimidated and did not have the "deer in the headlights" look.

We lost because Kelly doesn't trust his players enough to let them play all out, and because Kelly believes that HE must engineer the win by limiting mistakes. On offense, we took the 3rd quarter and part of the 4th quarter off. We lost because Kelly thought that 10-7 or a score close to it might be enough to win, and thus, we shut the offense down. When we HAD to move the ball, we DID move the ball, but only by not running 7 yard ins and outs. However, it was not, and will never be enough.

Now, make no mistake, Kirby Smart is not much smarter than Kelly, and played it vey conservatively as well. Saban tries to score on every series, and break your will as quickly as possible.

Unless we get very, very lucky, and things break just right, the team will never be able to overcome Kelly's insecurities in a big game. Until he is gone, we will be looking up at an echelon of teams with better talent, and in a better position to win these type of games. It is not luck or happenstance that we never win these games.

A TD before 1/2 would've sent GA into shock. We had
by cj  (2019-09-23 13:17:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a huge chance to knock them and their crowd senseless.

imo A TD there makes them crap and rethink everything.

Instead, kelly wilted....and we gave them a moral victory...

PS Eichenberg had a rough night...

They shut down our short passing game and we had no answer.
by ndbob79  (2019-09-23 12:15:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And our defense was on the field too long.

What I saw was very little talent difference. ND is one
by 84david  (2019-09-23 11:46:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dimensional on offense, and UGa had a very balanced offense and made few mistakes. That's the difference between winning and losing in close games.

What game were you watching?
by BigNDfan  (2019-09-23 15:20:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tony Jones would be 4th string on Georgia's RB depth chart.

Georgia lost both starting CBs briefly and didn't miss a beat.

They've landed a top 3 recruiting class the last 3 years.

The talent difference at every skill position was drastic.

ND will never have depth like others..
by NDFaninMadTown  (2019-09-24 09:28:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I am not big on Troy Pride, but Bracy and Crawford played well. I harp on it constantly but we can't lose guys like Love for them to go in the 3rd or 4th round. If that's Love on Cager it's not a TD.

RB we have had very talented players like Adams and Dexter but tbis year ND is a really bad year at RB. Tyree changes that immediately next year. And all the others return.

Kmet to me was the most skilled player on the field and Tremble is also a very special talent. Claypool is probably as good as anyone on their roster.

We don't have depth but it would have been mice to have Young out there.

Boykin was clearly NFL ready but if he had returned and Young was healthy we probably were superior to UGA at WR. NDs limitations in recruiting cannot afford early entries like the top programs can. It also can't afford stupid playcqlling.

The talent gap on the first string is almost nonexistent. Among depth it is probably large but most of those guys don't play.

Kelly is in charge of recruiting no? 10 years... *
by irpa  (2019-09-23 15:45:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They have the luxury of a running game.
by goldhelmethead  (2019-09-23 13:07:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And they turned it up when they needed to. Swift did not break any long run's but they did enough to offset the game after we went for multiple three and out's to start the second half.

Georgia is a good team. However, I feel they were over-hyped both in the media and on this board. I just did not see a glaring difference in talent between the two.

The game was close because both coaches are equally dumb.

You have got to be kidding me...
by wiNDycityfan  (2019-09-23 12:26:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did we play to our potential? No doubt.
Did we play with confidence and didn't get intimidated? Sure.

That aside, except for TE and P, about every offensive and defensive unit in that game favored UGA. The type of key plays they made, alone, indicates a talent level difference.

A Kelly-coached ND record number of penalties is NOT
by oggie  (2019-09-23 13:02:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

playing to your potential. The D may have been on task, but the O underperformed.

Talent differential at RB was drastic. *
by NDBass  (2019-09-23 12:10:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And WR outside Claypool.
by MAS  (2019-09-23 12:19:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The offensive skill positions were the biggest difference from what I saw. Finke wouldn’t even be on scholarship there let alone starting.

Finke was not Welker *
by bmoreirish  (2019-09-23 12:23:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Claypool & Kmet were beasts. Thank God they're on the roster *
by ndzippy  (2019-09-23 12:21:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If not for a huge UGA mistake (muffed punt), I think
by ndzippy  (2019-09-23 12:00:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the game would have unfolded much differently.

Hell, we had to use all four downs to score after receiving that gift.

I tend to agree
by bmoreirish  (2019-09-23 12:06:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am worried that people are thinking because we had a shot at the end that we didn't get thoroughly beaten.

Just imagine if UGA had gone for the 4th and 1 and gotten it (I'd call it at least a probability). They could have taken a few more minutes off the clock, maybe scored a TD and come away with a 2-score victory in a lopsided second half.

ND needed a lot to go perfectly to have that shot in the end.

and what if they had gone for it and fumbled.
by Fresnodomer  (2019-09-23 12:37:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We can what if this all day long.

The odds of them making it was much higher than a
by Ajax  (2019-09-23 13:31:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fumble or being stopped. Kirby has an automatic kicker and believed his more talented team would not give up a 13 point lead in the 4th quarter to lose the game. He was right.

Not to mention another coach who's a little shaky at times
by ndzippy  (2019-09-23 12:08:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The UGA fans around me were pretty terrified by the prospect of Smart being on the hook to manage the game well in order to survive with a win. I think it's PTSD related to their last two losses to Bama.

I keep struggling with this "should have won"
by Ajax  (2019-09-23 11:26:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were competitive compared to past big game debacles, but they were on the short end on talent.

Smart played it too conservatively, but he likely realized with better talent that his defense could stop them from scoring a late td if they had to.

I think it is a fair statement that, now that we saw how we
by 1NDGal  (2019-09-23 16:21:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

went toe-to-toe with UGA’s offense and largely shut it down, ND should have won.

Get rid of 4 of the 6 false starts, get Avery Davis three designed runs, and have either Book or Finke see the UGA safety sprinting over from midfield on that INT. None of those things would have been other-worldly achievements.

One more TD is all we needed. ND should have been able to do that.

Get rid of a muffed punt...
by revressbo  (2019-09-23 19:53:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and ND would’ve had 3 points in 55 minutes.

Yeah and Georgia sure can't make
by Ajax  (2019-09-23 18:03:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any of those what if examples with respect to the final score. These are only allowed for ND.

If you think 6 false starts and leaving our fastest player
by 1NDGal  (2019-09-23 21:57:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(on offense) off the field are acceptable conditions that should continue, then I don’t know how to talk to you.

The way Georgia played is the constant. Nothing ND could do about how UGA played.

The dumba$$ shite BK let happen are the variables. Take the dumba$$ shite away, ND would have won that game.

I agree.
by revressbo  (2019-09-23 12:21:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UGA wasn’t head and shoulders above us, but they were clearly better, and we caught some breaks and poor strategy by them (starting with their decision to kick the FG on 4th-and-1 and continuing the rest of the game). Ultimately, it wasn’t embarrassing, but I didn’t feel we were on the same level.

I mentioned it below, but I didn’t feel that same way after FSU 2014, when I felt it was a game that was about even and we were on FSU’s level. Ironically, we were clearly NOT on FSU’s level, based on how the rest of the season played out. But it at least felt like it on that night.

You literally could replace Kelly with Smart...
by BigNDfan  (2019-09-23 11:26:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And post this on the Georgia board and no one would flinch.

Smart did ok. His defensive gameplan worked well.
by OITLinebacker  (2019-09-23 11:57:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His return man set up the early TD by duffing that catch. He schemed the defense to not give up the big play force ND to nickle and dime, protect the young CBs by having them keep play in front of them. Force Book to be perfect. At halftime, he turned the defense loose a bit more and started cheating routes to try to force turnovers or 3 and outs. Brian Kelly was slow to adjust to that. It got Georgia back into the game.

I think both teams played D like they were really afraid of giving up a big play and both play O like they didn't want to try for a big play.