I don't think there's any chance this happens....
by BigNDfan (2019-10-18 08:59:11)

In reply to: I think Book may try his luck elsewhere as a grad transfer  posted by irish2x

He really wants to pursue the NFL. He was considering leaving last year. And no, I don't think he's going to make it in the NFL.

Book doesn't seem remotely NFL caliber to me
by dulacshakur  (2019-10-18 09:20:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like Ian, and we've been fortunate to have him, but I'd be floored if he ever takes a snap in an NFL game. He doesn't have a strong enough arm, can't throw deep with any accuracy, and lacks the pocket presence to compensate for his height. He's also relatively poor at checking down, which might be a consequence of not seeing the field particularly well.

I'm genuinely curious as to why he thinks he has a future in the NFL.

As to your last sentence,
by smithwick  (2019-10-18 10:02:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he's the starting quarterback at Notre Dame and is 13-2 as a starter. While I agree that he's not close to being ready (if ever), I'm guessing the kid doesn't lack for confidence.

Is he any worse than AJ McCarron?
by ndzippy  (2019-10-18 12:46:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

AJ is STILL in the NFL!

He's not even close to as good as McCarron
by dulacshakur  (2019-10-18 13:08:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

McCarron was runner-up for the Heisman. He's three inches taller than Book, had/has a better arm, and was far more comfortable in the pocket.

He also has Book clearly beaten in the tattoo department...

I don't know, man
by ndzippy  (2019-10-18 14:18:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The numbers they put up as first-year starters are pretty damn similar:

McCarron: 219/328 (66.8%), 2634 yards, 8.0 yds/att, 16 TD/5 INT, 147.3 rating

Book: 214/314 (68.2%), 2628 yards, 8.4 yards, 8.6 yds/att, 19 TD/7 INT, 154.0 rating

McCarron's Heisman finish was more about the team he played for than his individual talent/accomplishments. Moreover, Ian Book was getting a decent amount of Heisman buzz coming into the season (see link for one such example).

I can't argue with your claims that he (1) has/had a better arm, and (2) was more comfortable in the pocket. However, he was surrounded by a lot better talent (that roster was loaded with 5-star players) and was protected by a better offensive line.

There's a reason he's only started 3 games in his career (and only started those games because Dalton got hurt).

You're right -- he has only started 3 games
by dulacshakur  (2019-10-18 16:22:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we're talking about the NFL. I'm relatively confident Ian will start zero. I'm not suggesting McCarron is a burgeoning NFL star, just that he's a far better QB than Book will ever be.

Many smart people on this board and others have wondered aloud whether Book should be benched (or suggested Kelly should do so), and many others are disappointed in his lack of improvement (or worse). Sure, McCarron had great talent around him, but he was also a first-team All-American who finished second in Heisman voting. I don't think Book would've been a superstar at Alabama -- he just doesn't see the field well enough or have the ability to make enough throws.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd be thrilled if Kelly gave Jurkovec more snaps, and I'd be disappointed if Book returned as the starter next year. I'm pretty sure I'd feel differently if McCarron were on the team -- especially if his girlfriend/wife tagged along.

Don't forget about his mom. Also not too shabby *
by ndzippy  (2019-10-18 16:59:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

plays in a different offense
by jt  (2019-10-18 15:34:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he doesn't have the arm strength that AJ has.

I also think his mechanics are cleaner/more efficient.
by tdiddy07  (2019-10-18 14:47:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I don't really see that changing.

I thought you were going to post a pic of his GF
by Voisman  (2019-10-18 13:39:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that Mushburger was salivating over back in the day.

Brent and every other straight male in America.
by Tonybullets  (2019-10-18 17:24:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, my wife laughed when I showed her the video that he had to apologize for.