He could play baseball at ND in the Spring..
by TWO (2019-10-18 10:05:10)

In reply to: Kmet could also return.  posted by smithwick

and still go to the NFL. So while I'm glad he's staying to play baseball I don't take that as an indicator that he'll be with the football team in 2020.

The NFL draft will be late April, and it's unlikely that the Irish make the NCAA tournament in baseball. He'll be available for any team that drafts him right after the season ends.

This is unlikely...
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-18 11:36:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most players pursuing the NFL don't even attend classes at ND in the spring while they prepare for the draft.

The entire focus is improving your numbers for the combine which can impact how you're ultimately paid.

I can't imagine playing baseball would be a good idea.

It would definitely be rolling the dice..
by TWO  (2019-10-18 12:59:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To go play baseball and make yourself available for the draft.

But even if he didn't take the what has become the standard route for those going to the draft, a team certainly could look at his body of work on the field and make a determination of his worth and draft him.

I do agree that in today's world that could cause him to drop in the draft and cost him some money.

Pre-draft prep is a full-time job.
by irishaddict  (2019-10-18 10:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's pretty unheard of in this day and age for a guy to play a spring sport and prep for the draft.

Yes, if Kmet plays baseball, he'll play football in 2020.
by irishdemon  (2019-10-18 12:38:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he's going to enter the draft, he'll have to go to the combine and spend the spring traveling the country for pre-draft interviews and workouts.

Not to mention his own personal focus and workout regiment will have to be 100% football.