I have to ask...
by IrishApache (2019-10-19 22:37:51)

In reply to: Let them win tonight and get blown out next week at home  posted by Molly Maguires

And I apologize in advance because I know you have probably posted about this before, so I am likely asking you to be repetitive...

But why hate Penn State more than Michigan? The latter is more of our natural enemy than the former.

Keep in mind, my views are colored by growing up in New York. So while I have distain for Penn State as an institution, The Penn State fans in New York are not too terrible. In fact, I would posit that they have more in common with the average Notre Dame fan than the average Michigan fan.

Conversely, the Michigan fans in New York are terrible, and they have shaped my view of that university. They are the hyper-obnoxious, Billy Joel loving, Notre Dame hating set, that (nonsensically) fancy Michigan an Ivy League school. Also, my experience at the 1997 Notre Dame @ Michigan game, which was played in Ann Arbor, was among my worst sporting experiences ever due to their horrific fanbase.

I will concede I have never been to a Notre Dame game in Happy Valley.

I’m genuinely curious... what gives?