The cotton & orange have to be thrilled with Memphis
by Stonebreaker42 (2019-12-04 09:36:54)

In reply to: Making the Best of a Bad Bowl Movement  posted by RJD

and UVA. I guess we’re not the only ones that lose out under the current system.

I’ve never seen so many potential non-compelling matchups.
by Stonebreaker9  (2019-12-04 11:59:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps I’m wrong, but back at the beginning of the new low-tier bowl explosion, there were a lot of games that still featured interesting matchups of decent teams. Now it seems like 85% are garbage team 1 vs. garbage team 2. Even the better teams are getting matched up against inferior competition. I really don’t give a rat’s ass to see Memphis play anyone in a NY6 bowl.

I really hope the empty seats and over-saturation come home to roost soon so we can trim back to a reasonable number of traditional bowls featuring good matchups and a high level of competition.

TV money is driving this.
by Wooderson  (2019-12-04 16:03:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ESPN pays a relatively low price for holiday content, vs. what the conference rights cost.

how is being #15 & not being in a major bowl "losing out?" *
by MrE  (2019-12-04 09:41:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure I understand what you mean. Because of
by Stonebreaker42  (2019-12-04 11:15:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

conference tie-ins, a likely unranked UVA team may play in the Orange instead of a team like ND as in years past. ND loses millions in bowl payout (based on last years numbers, there’s a $3mm difference just between Camping World & Citrus, so I’d imagine the Orange is a very big number) and the bowl loses millions of viewers & potential advertising dollars in future years because of assuredly poor ratings this year.

Not to mention playing a lower team in a lower bowl that has potentially twice as many losses is a lose lose proposition. If camping world is our only option, ND should have some pride and stay home.

Itsbeing ranked #15 that is losing out *
by BeatPS0607  (2019-12-04 09:48:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we're not going to be ranked #15 after next week *
by Catdog2  (2019-12-04 10:37:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True, we will be #14 at best
by pmoose  (2019-12-04 10:51:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At worst, the committee will drop ND further since we don't play a conference championship.