So, respectfully, none of those bowls do much for me.
by potatohouse (2019-12-05 14:15:12)

In reply to: Anything with a matchup vs a top-4 finisher in a P5 *  posted by El Kabong

Of course I'll watch an ND bowl game and be excited when they win. But the bowl system, to me, is like the Glengarry Glen Ross sales sweepstakes: it's either the El Dorado or some steak knives. And I just can't get excited about even the nicest of steak knives.

Take this year for instance. We have wins against three teams in the 20-25 range. Chances are, if any of them win their bowl game, they will move into the 16-19 range. That's where LSU ended up after we beat them in the 2018 Citrus Bowl. So we tack on another win that really doesn't mean anything in terms of ranking tier.

I don't really even have much use for the "big" NYD bowls, but I clearly understand their historic prestige. So even though I still consider them a similar brand of also-ran exhibitions, I'd value a setup where we had more access to them at the cost of having less access to fall backs (even at the respectable mid-tier level you describe).