and it wasn't on TV
by paddyoreilly (2020-03-15 15:57:24)

In reply to: 1966 USC. Even though the 1965 USC game was the "Remember"  posted by ArasEra

except possibly on the west coast. Because of restrictions on tv appearances back then, since we had already been national game of the week twice - Purdue and MSU, I believe, the game could only be shown regionally. I know that there was no way to see it back in Y-town, so it was radio only. I've seen highlights, but never the whole game from start to finish.

I saw it in Pittsburgh at the (now torn down) Syria Mosque
by ArasEra  (2020-03-16 15:07:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

via "closed circuit tv".

Syria Mosque was a concert hall. Closed circuit tv featured no advertisements - you could hear the play by play announcer and the color commentator talking during the breaks.

I also saw the 1974 Notre Dame vs Pitt game at the same venue, same closed circuit tv broadcast. That was the game where ND held Tony Dorsett to 61 yards while they rammed fullback Wayne Bullock down Pitt's throat, especially in the last 8 minutes of the 4th quarter when ND drove 55 yards for the winning TD. Carry after carry went to Bullock and Pitt couldn't stop Wayne The Train. He ran for 124 yards in that game. One of the beauties of this was that the Syria Mosque was located in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh which is the Pitt campus. Plenty of disappointed and whining Pitt fans there that day. It was quite enjoyable for me, though.

Question whether film still exists from the game
by SixShutouts66  (2020-03-15 18:53:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The TV networks tended to reuse videotape at that time; so most games of that era exist only on highlight films. For instance, SuperBowl 1 was thought to be lost and required a substantial effort to piece it together. I believe only the second half of the 1966 game against Michigan State is available.

Some of Leahy's Lads were able to construct a highlight tape of games that era with bits and pieces of highlight films that were saved.

BTW the game was shown on campus and rerun many times. Perhaps someone at the local TV had the foresight to save a copy.

I have the first half of the 66 MSU game on VHS
by OldIrishFan  (2020-03-17 07:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is a coach’s tape though. Not the ABC broadcast. It was interesting that neither Bud Wilkinson or Chris Schenkel questioned Ara’s Choices at the end of the game

Second half was on a Greatest Games set
by SixShutouts66  (2020-03-17 15:33:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1977 USC (Green Jersey)
1978 Texas Cotton Bowl
1988 Miami (save Jimmy's Ass for me)
1989 Fiesta West Va
1992 Penn State Snow Bowl
1993 Florida State
1966 MSU second Half - we dominated that half

I saw it in NYC.... *
by Wolfetone  (2020-03-15 17:30:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post