Question whether film still exists from the game
by SixShutouts66 (2020-03-15 18:53:56)

In reply to: and it wasn't on TV  posted by paddyoreilly

The TV networks tended to reuse videotape at that time; so most games of that era exist only on highlight films. For instance, SuperBowl 1 was thought to be lost and required a substantial effort to piece it together. I believe only the second half of the 1966 game against Michigan State is available.

Some of Leahy's Lads were able to construct a highlight tape of games that era with bits and pieces of highlight films that were saved.

BTW the game was shown on campus and rerun many times. Perhaps someone at the local TV had the foresight to save a copy.

I have the first half of the 66 MSU game on VHS
by OldIrishFan  (2020-03-17 07:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is a coach’s tape though. Not the ABC broadcast. It was interesting that neither Bud Wilkinson or Chris Schenkel questioned Ara’s Choices at the end of the game

Second half was on a Greatest Games set
by SixShutouts66  (2020-03-17 15:33:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1977 USC (Green Jersey)
1978 Texas Cotton Bowl
1988 Miami (save Jimmy's Ass for me)
1989 Fiesta West Va
1992 Penn State Snow Bowl
1993 Florida State
1966 MSU second Half - we dominated that half