1987 ND vs Alabama (37-6) . The team played at championship
by Irish88 (2020-03-16 10:45:29)

In reply to: Social Distancing ND Game Watchlist  posted by dinger9927

level. It was a great way to end for the Class of 1988.

unfortunately it was the last game that they won that year
by jt  (2020-03-16 13:00:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lost the next week to penn state (close game, IIRC there were some questionable decisions by Lou, including putting Graham in during an obvious passing situation which led to an INT, going for 2 late instead of the tie, etc.). Then got smoked by Miami, in a game that made Daniel Stubbs a lot of money later on for doing basically nothing in the NFL. Lost to A/M in the cotton bowl.

Of course, after that, they went on a 23 game winning streak.

I have mentally erased what you mention
by Irish88  (2020-03-16 13:27:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in order to bask in the warm memory of that game. Many classmates came down onto the field after the game- we sang the Alma Mater on the 50, tried to get a photo, but ran out of film, dispersed out Green Field, then onto Senior Bar or off-campus parties.

I'm glad Tim Brown jumped on the Aggie that stole his towel. I sure as hell remember that.

Lou got on a microphone in the end zone corner
by domer4  (2020-03-16 17:03:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

after the game, said "the best is yet to come" and introduced the senior captains. I think 2 of them were offensive linemen - maybe he was losing 3 OL that year? Of course, the guys who replaced were even better in 1988.

The student body threw oranges into the end zone.
by domer4  (2020-03-16 11:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently to push for the Orange Bowl.

After the game, the sideline reporter asked Lou about it and Lou said "I am glad the students don't want us to go the Gator Bowl!"

Yes! *
by Irish88  (2020-03-16 12:07:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post