Talk about 40 minutes I'll never get back: ND-GT '97
by Camarillo Brillo (2020-06-19 09:30:34)

For reasons I'm still trying to figure out, I watched some of the Georgia Tech-ND game from 1997 on the university's website (their "viewing party" although the viewing wasn't much of a party).

As I opened the website to watch I tried to recall that game...1997..I remembered that it was Davie's very first game as head coach. It was right after the stadium expansion. And I recalled ND struggled to win.

Boy did that offense look awful. Powlus threw two picks back to back that gave the Yellowjackets possession pretty deep in ND territory. Denson was continually stuffed at the line of scrimmage.

If not for a fine defensive effort, this would have been a 27-10 blowout. But Kory Minor and JImmy Friday (and Lamont Bryant, forgot about him) all played really well and kept Georgia Tech out of the endzone. Tech missed two field goals, too.

What I also remember is after that game Notre Dame got beat by Purdue and I think were 1-4 at one point, maybe worse.

Why do we do it to ourselves?

That's my first real memory as a fan.
by daviehamsufferer97  (2020-06-19 19:16:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think I'm the reason for all the mismanagement guys.

I remember Davie bragging that it was a great ND victory.
by Revue Party  (2020-06-19 17:30:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And for him, unfortunately, it was.

You'll feel better about it after you watch the 2007 GT game *
by Cash  (2020-06-19 15:02:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shit show is too nice of a way to describe it.
by IRISHPRIDE09  (2020-06-20 16:08:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are going to shock GT and the nation by not revealing the QB until day of the game. It only got worse after that. Ugghhh.

That was the last ND game I saw in the stadium and in person
by NDEE01  (2020-06-19 19:51:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a memory to cherish forever

We will always have this
by HTownND  (2020-06-19 17:01:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And by all accounts, Demetrius Jones was a good guy, but I cannot in my decades of ND fandom, remember a more disappointing debut.

3 TOs, -8 rushing yards, 120 total yards.
by 105Marquette  (2020-06-19 23:15:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mall cops indeed.

Didn’t he go AWOL after finding out he wouldn’t be QB1?
by 1NDGal  (2020-06-19 17:22:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like, the bus was waiting and he didn’t show up?

Yes. He ‘no showed’ the bus to AA. Transferred to Cinci. *
by irishhawk49  (2020-06-19 17:47:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then Kelly switched him to a LB *
by Irish Warrior  (2020-06-19 23:15:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You’re right. Forgot that. *
by irishhawk49  (2020-06-20 19:20:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There was one? *
by 1NDGal  (2020-06-19 16:05:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The move that day was to black out after App St blocked
by RoccoGlobboSchoolForWomen  (2020-06-19 16:34:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that Michigan FG. It was all downhill from there

Talk about highest high and lowest low. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-06-19 17:21:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My first game as a student
by ravenium  (2020-06-19 14:38:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can probably blame me.

Baffling losses, then wins over ranked opponents, then late season flops. I never got to see anything else.

Started 2-5, but won 5 straight to make the weed eater bowl. *
by hollownd  (2020-06-19 14:13:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The day we started our journey through the woods.
by NW Ohio Irish  (2020-06-19 13:01:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With no end in sight.

As much as I disdained Davie, he beat USC three of five. *
by The Flash  (2020-06-19 14:54:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

0-5 against Sparty.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-06-19 15:33:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He graciously owned it during the 2006 Michigan St. game when in the ABC broadcast booth. You can find it on YouTube.

Saban was MSU’s coach three of those years.
by revressbo  (2020-06-19 15:39:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saban vs. Davie. Battle of equal coaching acumen there...

Purdue was 0-1, having lost @ Toledo by two touchdowns.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-06-19 13:01:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We had beaten Purdue 11 straight years until this game. Yes, Holtz went 11-0 against the Boilermakers. Davie lost to them again in 1999. He also beat Purdue in the last game of 2001 before he was launched into space.

It's was Joe Tiller's first victory as a Purdue coach and we had Joe Colleto, the old Purdue coach, as our OC.

In space, nobody hears you scream. Just awful.

Those Rockets were pretty good
by Twinkie the Kid  (2020-06-22 11:59:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They reached #18 in the pools before inexplicably shitting the bed against Ball State.

They lost to the Chad Pennington/Randy Moss/Doug Chapman trio in the MAC Championship that year.

Did they show the student section at all?
by treisele  (2020-06-19 12:59:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A bunch of St. Ed’s freshmen, myself included, spelled out “GO IRISH! BEAT TECH! HI MOM!” with body paint on our chests. I was the E in BEAT. I neglected to use sunscreen that day and got a sunburn so bad that the E was reverse-seared into my skin for the entirety of my freshman year...

I didn't watch, but thought it was a bad choice for a
by TWO  (2020-06-19 12:06:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

watch party. It just wasn't a good game in any sense of the word.

At least you weren't there to experience the toilets fail
by knutesteen  (2020-06-19 11:01:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A shitshow all the way around.

That's the day Notre Dame football went to crap
by Georgia Hog  (2020-06-19 12:17:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

figuratively and literally. We've never recovered.

And, yes, I was there.

I remember walking out through 4” of standing “water” in the
by voidoid  (2020-06-19 17:12:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

concourse. That was water, right?

Partially *
by knutesteen  (2020-06-19 18:59:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post