Same, but the dugout avoidance went away for most
by ndgotrobbedin97 (2020-06-20 22:28:56)

In reply to: we did make one change  posted by jt

We still won't let them in the dugouts, and keep them spaced out behind, but every other team we've played has talked a good game, but then once the game starts they're all in the dugouts.

We also use our own baseballs, and no one is supposed to touch them besides the defense and their coaches. It MAINLY works, but foul balls are not going to find themselves.

Yep, our distancing measures lasted about 5 minutes
by elcortez01  (2020-06-22 09:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Into the first practice. It felt silly trying to enforce it since just about all of our 12 kids are all playing together and socializing outside of baseball anyways.

I know you all have thought of this already...
by ewillND  (2020-06-21 12:39:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But one of the things that we have found is that "X marks the spot" actually works. For everyone. Even our most frustrating 15-16 year olds. If we put cones out on the sidewalk in the morning, each kid will stand by one.

Can you put out some extra benches, put Xs 1.5-2 meters apart, and tell the kids they can only sit on an X?

It is never going to be perfect--all of this is an exercise in cat-herding. Kids can't do social distancing--they don't mean to do it wrong, they just can't get their heads around it. But anything you can do to help will actually help.

We did the cap tip too. I like it, actually. It forces the
by milhouse  (2020-06-20 22:46:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

players to look at each other and say something instead of the robotic "good game, good game, good game."

We also have no bleachers -- they removed them, and the parents are supposed to sit in their chairs down the baselines. They all end up where the bleachers used to be, though.

I kept the kids with their parents for a game or two, but they were totally out of it -- not paying attention to the game, not ready to bat when it was their turn, etc. I told the parents to do what they want -- if they want to keep their kids with them, great; if they don't mind them in the dugout, fine. I don't want to play police on that.