Asked another way: As a parent, do you think it is right
by Tenndomer (2020-06-23 08:31:19)

In reply to: Are we kidding ourselves about sports?  posted by Revue Party

to ask a kid to play, and potentially catch the virus, so we can watch football?

They can always quit. No one is forcing them to play
by Btd  (2020-06-25 19:13:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it right for person A to have to pay for person B to not perform the services they receive benefits for? The implicit assumption is players should not play and the world should just absorb the cost of them being on scholarship anyway. If a 18-22 year old fears playing, don’t play - surrender the scholarship and don’t play. Same as a pro player opting out.

"so we can watch football?"
by jt  (2020-06-24 09:29:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that's such a stupid statement. You think that these guys play for us?

How about this--as a parent, do you think it is right to not give a kid a chance to achieve his goal of making it into professional football because you're concerned that he might get a virus?

Interesting. Here in SEC country, I've not heard one person
by tenndomer  (2020-06-27 13:48:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

make the argument you make. Not one. It's all about how much "I need to watch college football." Actually, I asked my question because a father of two boys who played college Football raised the issue to me.

And, I assumed we already knew this sucks for everybody.
by tenndomer  (2020-06-27 14:05:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So, the only reason NASCAR is racing is because of the $8.1 billion TV contract.

you don't think that college football has big TV contracts?
by jt  (2020-06-27 21:07:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this is a big business. They're going to do their damndest to play.

And if those kids want to play, they need to stay out of the clubs; that message has been passed on to them by more than a few coaches, I am sure of it.

asked another way.....is right to ask a kid not to play
by fourputtmd  (2020-06-23 19:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so you may potentially catch the virus....and he/she can't get drafted