Why hire Rees instead of Moorhead?
by dinger9927 (2020-06-29 16:06:44)

In reply to: Kelly says he wants to win a National Championship  posted by BIG MAC

Because he only ever reaches outside of hiring comfort zone when he absolutely has to. And at year 36, he's more interested in being comfortable than winning.

Why hire Moorhead instead of a fence post? *
by ACross  (2020-06-29 17:57:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You and this board called it in 2010
by dinger9927  (2020-06-30 11:33:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When this board, and only this board, raised concerns about Kelly bringing the vast majority of his staff over from Cincinnati many, including me, thought it was silly hand-wringing.

Instead it was a harbinger of his entire tenure.

So kudos.

I was against the Rees hire
by BIG MAC  (2020-06-29 16:17:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Too easy, too much within the comfort zone;TR, no matter what is his potential, will still need a year or two to step up and fully acclimate himself. That said, I do think TR will do a good job and be a pleasant surprise.

He cannot succeed here
by ACross  (2020-06-29 18:37:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is running a Yugo offense with a shit head coach.

How about if he turns the room upside down?
by Brahms  (2020-06-29 19:15:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because, you know, Brian Kelly said....

Well, I think we all know the answer to that. *
by BIG MAC  (2020-06-30 12:18:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Really good assistants can make up for a weak head
by 1978Irish  (2020-06-30 18:56:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coach. They went that way with Kelly 2.0 and now Kelly is back to hiring inexperienced assists and I would not be surprised if ND turned down again.

Typical Kelly & Swarbrick bullshit on and on...
by Brahms  (2020-06-29 16:22:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

....we did a national search (for a DC, OC, OL coach)...and, holy cow !, we had the best guy in the country right in our back yard -- and Kelly got him before he became even more incredibly awesome!

Yeah, Tommy might surprise. His track record to date gives every indication of, um, something. Or, maybe not.

you realize how dumb that sounds?
by MrE  (2020-06-29 16:21:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not your viewpoint, as that's fine.

But the fact that ND hired an OC that will take a year or two to learn, acclimate, get up to full speed.

It is like giving some guy the keys to a 2004 Saturn
by ACross  (2020-06-30 01:05:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And having him race it in a Formula 1 race.

Good luck.

Still would like to address why we hired Quinn instead
by BIG MAC  (2020-06-29 21:53:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of Trautwein? Crony hiring is probably Kelly's biggest weak point.

You answered your own rhetorical question *
by MrE  (2020-06-29 22:34:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"5 Year Plan"
by Brahms  (2020-06-29 16:52:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By Year 5, Tommy will be our HC.

Got to get him some more bona fide coaching experience first.

I’m still waiting on the “5 Minute Plan.* *
by Irishintheville  (2020-06-30 22:22:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post