North Carolina is going to have a better class than us.
by mocopdx (2020-06-30 17:12:37)

It's not shocking, but it's shitty. They just added a top 10 player, the #1 CB in this class, to an already very good group that is rated above ours. Mack Brown can still recruit, that's for sure.

I don't think Brian Kelly is capable of winning a title, but he'd have a far better shot if he had worked a helluva lot harder on it the last ten years.

After an exhaustive nationwide search by the Notre Dame Vice
by OldIrishFan  (2020-07-03 06:31:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

President James E. Rohr Director Of Athletics, we concluded that the best person to replace the best recruiter on staff already was at Notre Dame. Are you now suggesting that he got it wrong? Brian Kelly and Jack Swarbrick have been laboring unceasingly for 11 years to keep Notre Dame in the conversation. Coach Kelly has been a head coach for 30 years. I know because he said so. Coach Kelly even said recently that he wants to win a National Championship. Is that enough for you? Are you never satisfied? It is a process! An eleven year process!! If it takes another 11 years to get it right. Who are you to question it? Trust him. If he thinks he can win without defensive backs so be it. Brian Kelly will find a way. I know that he will and Jack Swarbrick and Father Jenkins will be there to back him up irregardless. Trust Jack. He has been around great coaches all his life and career.

We're bad.
by SWPaDem  (2020-07-03 07:29:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're nationwide.

Dallas Turner, #44 overall in 2021 class, St Thomas Aquinas
by MrE  (2020-07-01 11:24:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like he's committing to Alabama in a couple hours.

Mike Elston got around to offering him 28 days ago, apparently in reaction to #335 overall David Abiara's news of likely decommitting and committing to OU.

Turner is an elite DE with strong grades from a program with which ND has history...and Elston and staff didn't even bother to recruit him.

An excerpt from a recent interview with Turner (247 Sports):

"One of the coaches (Director of Recruiting Aaryn Kearney) had been in touch with me since my freshman year,” said Turner. “He got in touch not too long ago again and he was touching base with me and asking about my grades. I showed him I had a 4.0 GPA. The defensive line coach (Mike Elston) texted me later on that day and then they gave me the offer."

Kelly and his crew take the path of least resistance
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-07-01 12:59:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3 stars are easier to recruit than 4 stars.

On some of the ND sites, the recruiting guys are wondering why Elston doesn't have more luck signing 4-star DE's. Especially given that he seems to do a good job of coaching and developing the DE's he has had.

In the last 4 recruiting cycles--ND has signed only one 4-star DE.
You can't sign them if you don't really try. And Kelly & Company don't really try. I think the assistants take their cue from Kelly and take the easy path. That means they focus on the 3 stars.

That is why it is such an insult for Kelly to claim he is interested in "winning a title". His actions speak louder than his empty words. No coach interested in winning a title would take such an awful approach to recruiting.

Where the hell do you get your stats?
by ribs  (2020-07-01 16:53:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The last 2 classes alone have (4) 4* recruits- Mills, Fosky, Nana, Cross. 247 Linked below.
In fact, in the same 2 classes, ND has signed only 1 3* DE, with Ehrensberger. So, 4 out of the last 5 DE signees were 4 star. Per 247 Sports.

But yes, the staff only takes 3 star defensive ends, because its easier.

To be clear: Nobody is saying the recruiting is remotely good enough. Top 15 classes, top 15 program. But lazily exaggerating everything over and over certainly doesn't help the conversation. I suggest anyone inclined to listen to Mike Frank's Power Hour this week. It was dedicated entirely to the '21 recruiting. Very honest and level-headed. Typical of Mike Frank and his guys.

"4 star" is a broad designation.
by MrE  (2020-07-01 17:03:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it includes the #32 overall player in the 2021 class (ranked just 4 spots below Tyler Buchner) as well as the #344 overall player in the 2021 class.

The term is often used by fans and ND recruiting sites to puff up the recruit's status.

The South Bend Tribune, several weeks ago, ran these two headlines side by side:

"Clemson beats Notre Dame for four-star RB Will Shipley's commitment"
"Four-star CB Philip Riley commits to Notre Dame"

But that doesn't make a 4-star a 3-star
by ribs  (2020-07-01 17:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You've tried this before.

This was the comment in question:

"In the last 4 recruiting cycles--ND has signed only one 4-star DE. You can't sign them if you don't really try. And Kelly & Company don't really try. I think the assistants take their cue from Kelly and take the easy path. That means they focus on the 3 stars."

Preposterously inaccurate. 4 out of 5 of the last DEs ND signed are 4 star. Rivals has Spears as a DE too. So is it 5 out of 6? Such utter bullshit.

Correct
by MrE  (2020-07-01 17:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It makes using the term “4 star” asinine and meaningless.

Then why cite it and judge the staff based on 3* vs. 4*?
by ribs  (2020-07-01 17:28:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Recruits have to be rated somehow. At least attempt to utilize accurate statistics.

The star system is a feel-good marketing tactic.
by MrE  (2020-07-02 12:19:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The recruiting sites want paying fans’ credit cards being hit every month, and the best way to do that is to make every fanbase hopeful and excited for the future. So more “4 stars” equals more feel-good recruiting classes, more feel-good commits and recruiting chases for more fan bases. Stir in some false-hope articles, string folks along, then wash, rinse, repeat.

Their revenue model is based entirely on blowing sunshine up your ass. Added benefit is this model keeps them in good graces with the athletic departments who can hurt their business if they deny access. You’ll never see an article on a recruiting site about which commits are overrated, never a negative word.

A secondary benefit is more recruits allocated as “4 stars” means more engagement with the supply side, so to speak. More better players is simply good for business, even though it doesn’t really work that way. More interviews, PR/excitement around camps and “earning” another star.

A great marketing trap all the way around.

If you are looking for comparative research, I believe the best way is to use 247 Sports’ Composite ranking for overall team rankings and player rankings.

Defensive End recruiting, 2017-2021:

#962 Jonathan MacCollister
Unranked Kofi Wardlow

#545 Ovie Oghoufo
#630 Justin Ademilola

#211 Isaiah Foskey
#298 Nana Osafo-Mensah

#119 Jordan Botelho
#159 Rylie Mills
Unranked Alexander Ehrensberger

#336 David Abiara
#573 Jason Onye

I don't understand the purpose of your posts.....
by Wolfetone  (2020-07-02 10:54:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By your own account the recruiting is not remotely good enough(quite true) and then you quibble with Mr.E and Hanratty.

That comes as no surprise.
by ribs  (2020-07-02 11:39:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your lack of understanding is nothing if not consistent. See thread linked below.

Lazy, exaggerated, undefended and factually wrong "drive-by" posts don't exactly raise the discourse around here. But that's all part of the schtick I guess.

You're quite the arrogant ass.... *
by Wolfetone  (2020-07-02 11:47:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3* at best. *
by ribs  (2020-07-02 12:38:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The goal is 10 wins.
by MrE  (2020-07-01 13:05:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember, after one of the most embarrassing losses in school history in Ann Arbor last season (in which Elston's D-Line received a nice ass-pounding), all ND had to do was win out over a bunch of creampuffs and all would be well, per Kelly.

10 wins...if that's a stock, you'd buy it - per Kelly.

Admin and it's PR tentacles (Irish Illustrated, Irish Sports Daily, et al.) also constantly pound the "10-win" phraseology.

And the schedule has been modified to make it a fairly easy mark.

Agree. 8 wins built into a craptastic schedule. Split the
by Irish72  (2020-07-01 13:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

other four and you get ten wins.

Undefeated in torrential rainstorms...
by Brahms  (2020-07-01 17:07:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...oh, hold on a sec....

I have no doubt that Kelly is completely checked out
by SEE  (2020-06-30 20:36:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

right now.

Can you elaborate?
by Brahms  (2020-07-01 07:38:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't disagree (lame-ass OL and OC hires, for example); but if you have more context, I'd appreciate it.

He admitted to checking out for an entire season pre-covid
by SEE  (2020-07-01 13:41:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

do you really think he's working the phones 24/7 now with recruits? Or do you think he's at his beach house turning purple?

Given the recruiting trend, my guess is the latter.

Same Punch Bowl, bigger turd.
by goldhelmethead  (2020-07-01 11:14:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The context has been unfolding before us for a long time now.

You already know.

He's just cashing paychecks.
by MNG  (2020-06-30 22:15:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He doesn't give a crap anymore and neither does the administration.

Monk won.
by Brahms  (2020-07-01 08:23:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Freaking scandalous how they smugly pissed it all away, even as they shoved more neon and plastic down everyone's throats.

Completely bereft of vision and leadership at all levels.

It was already over as soon as Germans bombed Pearl Harbor *
by Frank Drebin  (2020-07-01 11:08:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Germans? *
by socal_doubledomer74  (2020-07-01 20:05:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Forget it, he's rolling *
by bandfather  (2020-07-01 20:18:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Damn krauts!
by SWPaDem  (2020-07-01 12:48:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Vic Morrow didn't put up with any of this crap.

Kelly's best trait is coming up with excuses
by miamioh_irishfan  (2020-06-30 17:49:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

COVID is an obvious excuse this time.

Mack Brown has a title; also a dead frog could get into UNC. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-06-30 17:49:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Admissions has zero to do with it and you are a dipshit for
by ACross  (2020-06-30 18:48:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

offering up the bullshit rationalization.

Did Swarbrick hack GK's account? *
by daviehamsufferer97  (2020-07-01 13:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree 100% on this (except for the dipshit part)
by doghoused  (2020-07-01 09:52:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the average out-of-state student, UNC is highly competitive. We know a good number of very good students from our kids' high school classes who have been rejected from UNC, including some who got into places like Notre Dame, Cal, Michigan, Columbia and Princeton. Of course, for athletes, UNC would be more likely to make an admissions exception than ND.

Regardless, this is about our staff getting outwitted and outworked.

I'm not sure if you're aware the UNC system changed their
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-06-30 21:51:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

admissions policy significantly in April, not just for next year, but for the next three years. It would have been a permanent change but for someone interjecting for three years to start with, but you can bet this is a permanent change. Unfortunately, more than a few colleges are dropping their standards to pander for students and their tuition. TL;DR version of linked article (keep your eye on the conjunctions):

=======================================================

Old standard: Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 (a “C+” average) and an SAT score of 880 (or ACT score of 17).

New standard: Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 (a “C+” average) OR an SAT score of 1010 (or ACT score of 19). (Note: you must take at least one of the standardized tests and submit a score.)

========================================================

The problem here is that colleges are complaining of grade-inflation coming out of the high schools and standardize testing is one way to see where a student really stands. I have no doubt Mack Brown is a good-to-great recruiter, but I have to believe the admissions policy also plays a part.

Just lame excuse making for Kelly.......
by Ty Webb  (2020-07-01 08:28:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brown is recruiting better because he and his staff put in more effort into recruiting.

It's just that simple.

F *
by ACross  (2020-07-01 01:00:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND is going test-optional next year too
by HScorpio  (2020-06-30 22:37:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only one year, but it's part of a "pilot program".

Correct. It allows for more arbitrary admissions standards.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-06-30 22:42:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many schools understandably did that because of the coronavirus, but many will also use this excuse as a way to drive down standards and keep tuition-paying students coming through the door, especially when they are going to take a financial hit this year at many levels (summer camps, varsity athletics, room and board, etc.).

You're right but recruiting has always been strange to me
by pmac98  (2020-06-30 19:49:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've never been inspired by another adult in my life.

Never had someone say something to me that I bought hook, line and sinker. I never went to a job because some other adult persuaded me to go to it.

I didn't pick ND over other schools because someone encouraged me or promised me something.

So, I don't get how some 70 year old dude tells a recruit, "I think you'd be the best version of you if you come to this school!" and the 18yo kid and his parents eat it up.

They must know it's all salesman schtick, right?

Dre Bly or Mike Mickens?
by MrE  (2020-06-30 21:58:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if your goal is to play in the NFL, who will you trust to help you become the best version of you? Grimes has spoken specifically about this.

Todd Lyght was a better player than Dre Bly
by irishaddict  (2020-07-01 07:21:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NFL career ranks pretty low on totem pole of recruiting skill. Effort, personality and connections are much more important. I don’t see anything in Dre Bly’s background on its face that indicates he would have been a better hire than Mickens.

I was isolating how Grimes may view his future and goals
by MrE  (2020-07-01 08:52:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and that Bly may be better equipped to help him reach those goals.

Certainly Lyght had credentials along those lines, too. Perhaps he lacked in effort, personality, and connections.

I suspect elite offensive recruits have the same questions/concerns when they look at who will be their OC for the next 3-4 years.

I bet Mack Brown has more to do with it than Bly
by irishaddict  (2020-07-01 09:18:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or at least that Brown is putting Bly in a position to be successful.

You're wrong on Bly wrt to Grimes (link)
by NDinJapan  (2020-07-01 12:44:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was aware of the situation and stand by what I said
by irishaddict  (2020-07-01 13:32:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dre Bly is a complete novice both as a coach and as a recruiter. Despite what recruiting analysts say, I don’t think he pulls in a top 10 recruit without support and input from a veteran head coach like Brown.

No way does Grimes come to UNC without Bly *
by NDinJapan  (2020-07-01 17:19:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mack Brown has always recruited well
by BIG MAC  (2020-07-01 12:11:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whether its his personality, effort, or his picking assistants who are good recruiters, he has always recruited well.

Kelly really needs that Jet
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-06-30 17:34:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rutgers is also ranked ahead of ND right now in recruiting.

Rutgers!

I realize that it is skewed because they have more commits, but still.

I blame Covid-19.

Rutgers is in no way shape or form ahead of us.
by mocopdx  (2020-06-30 17:53:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They just have 21 players, like you said. They're technically ahead of Auburn, FSU, and Penn State right now too, but no one believes that. Average rating is the telling figure, and by that measure we're somewhere around 8th right now. Of course we'll finish poorly and other teams will jump us and we'll end up somewhere around 12-15 per usual and the beat goes on.

Well we have that going for us then *
by OldIrishFan  (2020-07-03 06:33:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Average star rating is not the right way of looking at it.
by MrE  (2020-06-30 22:03:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So you'd rather have a 10-recruit class with all, say ".93" rated recruits instead of a 20-recruit class with 10 ".93" recruits and 10 ".85" recruits because it'd have a higher star rating?

ND's class would be better if Jason Onye, Pat Coogan and Ryan Barnes decommit and sign elsewhere?

There's value in quality and quantity. 247 Composite is the best ranking system.

"Average star rating" is promoted by ND fan sites and the South Bend Tribune when they are trying to blow sunshine up their customers' asses.

15th and 17th last 2 years. Toss in a 20-25 this year.....
by Wolfetone  (2020-06-30 19:00:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Mr. Mediocrity will be hard pressed to get those 8 wins he
claimed initially as his goal. Any comments about winning a NC
are a fantasy.

You might want to revise your 12th-15th expectation.
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-06-30 18:07:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wasn't ND rated 16-17th the past 2 years in recruiting?

ND will struggle to stay in the top 20 the way things are looking.

And their top rated recruit(QB) will most likely see a ratings drop based on early reports from the Elite 11.

On your last point.
by mocopdx  (2020-06-30 20:23:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He must have had a great second day. Elite 11 just released their rankings which are based “50% on junior film and 50% on current camp performance”, and he is 2nd overall behind only that kid from DC who is likely Oklahoma bound and is supposed to be the next Trevor Lawrence/Andrew Luck level prospect.

Tony Grimes, a high-performing student as well.
by MrE  (2020-06-30 17:22:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the #1 overall CB in the 2021 recruiting class.