Dre Bly or Mike Mickens?
by MrE (2020-06-30 21:58:39)

In reply to: You're right but recruiting has always been strange to me  posted by pmac98

if your goal is to play in the NFL, who will you trust to help you become the best version of you? Grimes has spoken specifically about this.

Todd Lyght was a better player than Dre Bly
by irishaddict  (2020-07-01 07:21:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NFL career ranks pretty low on totem pole of recruiting skill. Effort, personality and connections are much more important. I don’t see anything in Dre Bly’s background on its face that indicates he would have been a better hire than Mickens.

I was isolating how Grimes may view his future and goals
by MrE  (2020-07-01 08:52:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and that Bly may be better equipped to help him reach those goals.

Certainly Lyght had credentials along those lines, too. Perhaps he lacked in effort, personality, and connections.

I suspect elite offensive recruits have the same questions/concerns when they look at who will be their OC for the next 3-4 years.

I bet Mack Brown has more to do with it than Bly
by irishaddict  (2020-07-01 09:18:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or at least that Brown is putting Bly in a position to be successful.

You're wrong on Bly wrt to Grimes (link)
by NDinJapan  (2020-07-01 12:44:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was aware of the situation and stand by what I said
by irishaddict  (2020-07-01 13:32:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dre Bly is a complete novice both as a coach and as a recruiter. Despite what recruiting analysts say, I don’t think he pulls in a top 10 recruit without support and input from a veteran head coach like Brown.

No way does Grimes come to UNC without Bly *
by NDinJapan  (2020-07-01 17:19:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mack Brown has always recruited well
by BIG MAC  (2020-07-01 12:11:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whether its his personality, effort, or his picking assistants who are good recruiters, he has always recruited well.