Balis and, I hope, Lance Taylor *
by 1NDGal (2020-07-06 14:24:02)
Edited on 2020-07-06 14:25:41

In reply to: Who are the coaches on our staff who don't blow goats?  posted by ACross

This user did not provide content for this post

what specifically about Balis?
by jt  (2020-07-06 14:40:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would be interested in learning more (honestly). I haven't heard much about our S/C since the last guy (who was not impressive, IMO). Are our athletes in better condition than our opponents? Do we have measurables since he arrived (fewer injuries, types of injuries, etc.)?

We do seem to have fewer season ending injuries
by btd  (2020-07-06 16:25:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know if that can be directly correlated to the coach or if it is part luck and part coaching or...

Kelly asked for a change to how we monitor things and given we are doing that, the SC coach itself isn't really the difference maker. It's possible that the monitoring itself is not something any coach could do equally well -- if that is indeed a key factor in the hypothesis that we have fewer season ending injuries (ACL, etc).

he's highly replaceable, like Lea, et al.
by MrE  (2020-07-06 14:53:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course, the assumption is that the next head coach will be an excellent one. And, thus, by definition, would have excellent S&C, DC, and OC coaches, and high-performing staff in terms of recruiting, planning, teaching.

But maybe Balis is the "best S&C coach since Holtz."

If you read only the South Bend Tribune and ND fan sites you'd think Kelly had the Dream Team working for him, masterminds in their industry.

We’ll soon find out just how easy it is to replace him. I
by 1NDGal  (2020-07-06 14:58:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

give it one more season and he’s gone.

then don't let the door hit him in the ass on the way out
by ACross  (2020-07-06 17:11:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You and others vastly overstate his prowess. Then again, you probably follow him on Twitter.

Maybe. The NFL is about the only promotion left for a SC
by btd  (2020-07-06 16:28:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coach at ND. I doubt the pay is substantially different at the other power 5 schools and ND has really narrowed the gap on things that matter to a SC coach like training tables, facilities, high tech systems, etc.

He might want better weather -- he came to ND from the Tampa area.

is Kelly still the HC in your scenario?
by MrE  (2020-07-06 15:01:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then I'd say Lea/Balis would be next-to-impossible to replace.