and perhaps I should have been clearer
by jt (2020-08-06 15:46:52)

In reply to: It depends on where you're playing  posted by jt

my concerns right now are limited to playing football; if they were to re-start college baseball right now (and an argument can be made that they could have over the summer) I would not have the same concerns.

Basketball and football are high risk, IMO (for different reasons). I don't understand a hurry to re-start football.

Here's sort of my point
by okerland  (2020-08-07 14:12:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I fully understand your concerns about football and them not being able to socially distance plus the temptation to party with regular students.

But I also am the belief that if both teams are being tested for Covid and properly going through protocols you can play a game.

My concern with youth sports is that some coaches and organizations feel that Covid can't affect them and thus it's maskless and lack of social distancing. And these kids aren't being tested like the college kids.

We'd love for my kid to play this summer, but the one game we went that had his friends playing, had no social distancing, no masks, no changing of balls.

it's just not a fair comparison
by jt  (2020-08-07 16:07:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the games are so different.

I understand your concern, but I don't share your optimism that everyone at every school will be tested. Some schools simply will not be able to afford that.

Maybe it is 2 issues
by Steelhop  (2020-08-06 21:56:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am purely guessing. As you know I don't think they will play (they should) for reasons stated above.

1 - the later it starts, the more you cross over into flu season making it harder to determine what someone is infected with.

2) later you start, the more likely you have top players dropping out to prep for the NFL. There is probably also more chances the everyday players opt out.