You must be an athletic director at a mid-major college
by otters92 (2020-08-08 22:10:26)

In reply to: My solution is all football players  posted by shillelaghhugger

Without the income from football, many of those athletic departments are vulnerable to severe contractions in their athletic offerings.

But, as football has been proposed for this year, I don’t know that there’s much income involved for mid-major schools. No fans + no buy games from the SEC mEans no $$$.

I would think that if they start up in Jan/Feb
by jt  (2020-08-09 00:11:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the buy games could be back on, right?

They have to be hoping that something like that happens. Truthfully though, this might bring about the split that's been talked about for a while, with the major schools in the power 5 splitting off and forming their own organization and everyone else sitting on the outside looking in.

They should spend the next year blowing the NCAA
by RagingBull  (2020-08-09 08:44:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and current college sports system up. It's idiocy and we've allowed it to happen even though we all knew it was true. We just accept it because college football is a great sport. Or it used to be. The pagaentry and those fight songs! Those Ole Miss tailgaters!

There are too many flaws to cite but let's start with Oregon's football facility and then try and rationalize how the athletes are not paid. I guess they get to play miniature golf and go to their own movie theatre for 4 years.

I just hope major changes happen and Notre Dame leads. I am doubtful on both counts.

Sally Jenkins in the Washington Post agrees with you.
by IAND75  (2020-08-09 08:57:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

College sports embraced reckless greed. With the coronavirus crisis, the bill has come due.

Sally Jenkins

“ Understand this: These schools don’t have a money problem. They have a shopping addiction. From 2004 to 2018, NCAA revenue exploded from $3 billion to $14 billion thanks largely to media rights, licensing and sponsorship deals. Yet some schools are so financially distressed that a single canceled football season could be catastrophic. Stanford cut 11 sports, and Wisconsin informed donors that it could face a $100 million shortfall. Where did the money go? The answer is, to compulsive spending and gross misallocation. Hundreds of millions disappeared into the pockets of deputy assistant associate athletic directors for administration, conference commissioners for the commission of commissions and Nick Saban’s corporate-welfare army of “football analysts.”

The rest went into buildings that look like a Kardashian’s closet. Clemson’s arcade of a football complex includes miniature golf, bowling, laser tag and a movie theater.

“This is a multibillion-dollar sports entertainment industry embedded in our higher education system,” Nevius says...”

Athletic “shopping addiction” mirrors full college spending
by fortune_smith  (2020-08-09 10:30:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The athletic over-spending is egregious, but it mirrors the broader financial mis-management at many universities (far broader than just the P5).

It’s borderline immoral that so many universities have prioritized facilities arms races and administrative bloat over cost-effective education.

Many have sown the seeds of their own destruction as they don’t have cost management flexibility to adapt. Further, spiraling education costs have contributed to a deeply entrenched trend of declining birth rates, which will have a profound impact on the numbers of college-aged students beginning the middle of this decade.

Couldn't agree more ...
by NDFanSince81  (2020-08-09 11:26:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Colleges have a become a just another fantasy land for self-indulgence. Faculty are rewarded based on the end-of-semester student satisfaction surveys, Colleges boast how great their students are, parents want nothing but the best for the precious little ones, and the hard truth of learning what it takes to compete in a global economy gets buried.

The arms race of CFB is a metaphor for higher ed in general.

Nothing is fatter than academia. *
by PWK2  (2020-08-09 11:02:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for sharing. I believe in the free market.
by RagingBull  (2020-08-09 09:19:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trapsing out college football players in light of the high-risk so athletic departments can make a buck is gross incompetence. She is right that the money going to athletic departments has been significant over the years. They've mismanaged it.