I've made the opposite decision. I will be going all in
by roccoglobboschoolforwomen (2020-09-08 12:58:15)

In reply to: I am getting right out in front and sayiing: I shan't be  posted by ACross

emotionally on this team. I wholly understand the detachment felt by many who post on this board -- I've felt it too. For many years after the Alabama game my cynicism of the football program (and, really, the entire University) drowned my fandom and I could no longer enjoy ND football, even after wins. I think most here have felt this.

However, in the past few years I've made the conscious decision (and yes, it is a choice) to discard the nihilism and let myself become emotionally invested again in the team. Yes, Lucy will probably pull that football out from underneath my swinging leg at some point in the season, but I've found that the excitement and subsequent disappointment is way more interesting and fun than the cold, dead perspective of detachment. And when the day comes that ND does win another National Championship, those who choose to be detached will remain detached and the joy will be felt most by those who bought in.

I don't go to movies I don't want to watch and I don't eat bland foods. Why would I pay an ounce of attention to ND Football (and post about it on NDNation) while holding an underlying resentment to the program itself? The choice is yours: retreat further into cynicism and continue letting your fandom die off, or cultivate an excitement and lean into it. While I understand people choosing the former, I think the latter is the proper choice for people who love ND football.

Replies: