And ND has to decide
by ND_Navy (2021-01-28 16:54:24)

In reply to: the power 5 are the ones working towards this  posted by jt

about joining one of these divisions or dropping out of FBS? Is that your read?

that is my guess
by jt  (2021-01-28 17:27:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I believe that the choice has been made. Huge investment in the football facilities, etc.

I hope there is a third option *
by ACross  (2021-01-28 20:16:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that ship sailed a while back
by jt  (2021-01-28 20:34:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this is all in my opinion, of course.

Technically, the 3rd option is the group of 5 and leftovers
by btd  (2021-01-30 15:55:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from the P5 that opt out / are excluded. It is basically an NCAA comprised of basketball schools and ND plus teams that have never been more than bottom feeders for 60+ years.

The new league will consume all network money and the "alternative" will be akin to the attempts to create a parallel NFL pro league.

Most schools are in so deep investment wise for football and their entire athletic budgets are so dependent on football, that they have no choice but to go with the new league.

ND is 99% likely to go with the new league -- and claim some kind of moral position with all other sports and/or claim it isn't much different than hockey where we have kids that average 23 years old and played on national teams claiming to be college players for a few years.

It is all going into the shitter much like olympic sports did once the US allowed pros to play. It is totally worthless now.

I was framing that as the second option
by jt  (2021-01-30 16:52:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but yes, I would agree that those are the 2 main options. I'm not sure how many of the P5 teams would be opted out; truthfully, it should be about 1/3 if not 1/2. Using a local example, a team like CU who just lost their head coach after one year because they can't afford his staff really isn't going to be able to compete against a school like Alabama or the like.