It has nothing to do with geography
by ACross (2021-01-30 13:32:50)

In reply to: F  posted by Hanratty5ND

Fresno is a nice town with plenty of good people. I trust you have never been there.

Fresno sucks. And I used to work there. But...
by JTG  (2021-02-02 00:37:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fresno has some good people, including my wonderful step-mom, who spent her entire career at Fresno State. And I graduated from high school in Bakersfield, and used to work in Fresno. And I camp every year with my buddies in the Sierras up above Fresno. But the city itself really sucks.

It doesn't mean that we shouldn't recruit the very good players that come out of there, though, just because one or two or three efforts went awry...

That is funny.
by Fresno Mike  (2021-02-02 21:03:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because Fresno people think Bako sucks lol. I like Bako. Have a bunch of business partners in our office there. Not enough rain down there though.

while I agree with your subject line
by jt  (2021-01-30 18:55:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we disagree as to the first sentence. And yeah, I've been there.

That said, if there are good players there we should absolutely try and recruit them.

No kidding my younger bro and wife attended FSU and
by 84david  (2021-01-31 16:57:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I visited them many times.

What a shit hole.

Been there
by Hanratty5ND  (2021-01-30 14:13:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't really care for it. Many other CA cities are way better in my view. Nothing against the people of Fresno.

This is all about ND recruiting and where best to spend/use their resources wisely. ND's resources are spread thin.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a dime or minute recruiting that area again, given the past results. Just not wise. That is fine if you disagree.

John McKay & Marv Goux recruited the Central Valley heavily.
by mkovac  (2021-01-30 21:17:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And, I was pissed that Ara didn’t.

Central Valley guys helped beat our ass way too many times for my liking.

And, my father was from Fresno.

Across had it right: Fresno is a good town with good athletes.

ND should give our area a good look every year.

Daryl Lamonica is from the Central Valley. Fresno, to be exact. You may wish to edit your post so as not to impugn Fresno.

Three Fresno guys that ended up at USC...
by Fresno Mike  (2021-01-31 15:15:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and became first team AA's. Tight end Charles Young (Edison High) in '72, Olineman Pat Howell (Fresno High) in '78 and S Tim McDonald (Edison) in '82 & '83.

That great '72 SC team had three Fresno guys that were starters. TE Young, NG Monte Doris (Fresno High) and LB Charles Anthony (Edison). Marv Goux had this town sewed up for SC back then. They got the cream of the crop from here. One great one that they did lose was FB Steve Bisceglia (Bullard '69) who played FB for the Bear at Bama. He was one scary dude on the football field. Howell told me once that Goux told him not to visit ND when he was being recruited...or strongly mentioned not to visit ND lol.

USC also had Paul Green from Fresno - pretty good TE...
by Irishdemon  (2021-02-01 15:11:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... and H-back in the mid-80’s who went on to play in the NFL for a while.

And others from Fresno too. I just mentioned the three AA's *
by Fresno MIke  (2021-02-01 16:36:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

off the front page *
by olson  (2021-01-31 15:28:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep. Steve played at FCC for...
by Fresno Mike  (2021-01-31 16:05:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...two years after graduating from Bullard. Fresno City was in the middle of winning four California JC state football championships in a six year period back then. Steve was on one of those teams. All local kids. Many went on to start on what are now Power 5 teams.

One of the Bullard assistant coaches that he played for was always pumping Bama back then. Steve and Johnny Musso were the two Italian running backs that played for the Bear then. Steve also made the cover of SI while at Bama. On a pile-up on the goal line. His helmeted head is sticking up in the middle of it.

way off the front page *
by olson  (2021-01-31 12:44:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow, am I glad I read that! -highlight poster- *
by mr.natural  (2021-02-02 10:08:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is great. Thanks. *
by Fresno Mike  (2021-02-02 10:02:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent.
by mkovac  (2021-01-31 18:46:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, I know Bob Schmidt and his brother, Denny.

Two great guys.

My father hid the McKeever twins from Terry Brennan, who wanted badly.

Robert McCaffrey followed my sister to USC in 1970, but Ara recruited him and brought him to ND. Robert contacted me there and used the two tickets to The Fifth Dimension Concert at the ACC.

Robert was on that SC team that took us to the woodshed in ‘74. One of my worse experiences in The Coliseum.

We remained friends, and he and his father-in-law, John Bonadelli, attended my dad’s 75th birthday here in town that Bob Schmidt and Frank Gifford put together.

A very nice evening.

off the front page *
by olson  (2021-01-31 17:52:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You’re right about the McKeever brothers...
by mkovac  (2021-01-31 20:32:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mentioned in my post above that it was my father’s ranch where they were hidden. A true hidden valley ranch.

I like living here. Many reasons.
by Fresno Mike  (2021-01-31 12:33:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1 1/2 hour drive and I'm at 7,000' elevation in the Sierra's. 2 1/2 hours to the coast.

But the reason I like it the most I think is that there is not a day in the year when I cannot go out into my yard (front or back) and pick something fresh off of a tree to eat. As you know the citrus are ripe now. In my yard I can choose between orange, grapefruit, lime and lemon trees.

And as spring draws closer the stone fruit buds are starting to swell a bit. Another month and the early varieties will begin to bloom. Apricot, pluot, plum, peach, aprium, nectarine and fig trees of differing varieties are at my disposal along with two avocado trees (differing varieties). Along with the summer garden (melons for the most part). I'd miss this all terribly if I lived elsewhere. One can't beat picking something fresh and ripe off of a tree like that. Store bought just doesn't measure up.

Tough football players here too. Just like in Bako.

off the front page *
by olson  (2021-01-31 13:09:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep. I'm a Bullard grad too. I'm fairly good...
by Fresno Mike  (2021-01-31 15:07:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...friends with his high school QB who was also a great pitcher. Their senior year Bullard baseball team only lost one game. That might have been the first year that Bullard won the national title in baseball (media award) as they won a couple of them within a ten year period. Likely the second best high school baseball team in Fresno history.

I was very happy when Rex signed with ND. He was a more athletic Chris Haines (if I correctly remember his name). But when the Yankees came calling in the 1st round of the draft I figured he was gone as baseball is his first love I think.

Lamonica is from Clovis
by jt  (2021-01-30 23:25:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

More specifically, a ranch outside of Clovis, which is (I believe) considered a suburb of Fresno.

Nick Eddy is from Tracy. I'm sure that there were others; I recall my dad going to some ND football alumni events in the valley in the mid 80s and those guys were usually there, especially Lamonica.

I agree that there is good football in the valley. Heck, I just remembered that Josh Allen is from Firebaugh.

Clovis is now the rich suburb of Clovis!
by JTG  (2021-02-02 00:41:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Funny how things change...

Resources spread thin? That’s a laugh.
by TAR  (2021-01-30 14:42:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe because the resources are lazy underachievers

At least one expert disagrees
by Flanner89  (2021-01-31 20:11:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree it sounds like we have some lazy recruiters. Freeman should help that on the defensive side. It also sounds like our resources are indeed spread thin according to Mike Frank in the attached article. He’s been doing this a long time so I am going to trust him. Plus his points make a lot of sense.

I think Hanratty5ND's response was tongue-in-cheek. *
by SWPaDem  (2021-01-30 15:29:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Isn’t the first time I’ve seen the anti-Fresno theme
by GolfJunkie17  (2021-01-30 18:23:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s kinda weird saying an area is bad to recruit from because a few bad seeds have found their way to ND from there.

Bad seeds.
by Fresno Mike  (2021-02-02 21:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is on the coaches that recruited them. My son was one of the coaches on the high school team of one of them. He never thought the kid would make it at or to ND. That turned out to be the case.

Maybe we recruit there to block OU's pipeline? *
by domer4  (2021-01-30 16:05:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OU pipeline
by Fresno Mike  (2021-02-02 21:10:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know that it is as strong now as it was. One of their assistant coaches back then played high school ball in Fresno and one assistant coach at a high school in Fresno played a large part in the OU pipeline. He is no longer coaching.