It is NOT the inactivated virus. It is the covid s protein
by Pjnuge (2021-04-11 13:09:30)

In reply to: I am a physician and think its  posted by panamirish

grown in a lab, which is on the outside of the virus (which combine with the ACE receptors in your cells to cause infection). The vaccine is very effective in causing a robust immune response but only has tiny fragments of viral protein and no genetic material.

Its a viral vector vaccine is what I meant
by panamirish  (2021-04-11 14:06:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it encodes a stabilized part of the spike protein but it is a viral vector and not mRNA

Yes with all the pros and cons of it being amino acid
by Pjnuge  (2021-04-11 14:13:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sequences and not mRNA. Merck has an inactivated viral vaccine that got shelved. The Russians have one, they didn’t do phase 3 testing on but went straight from phase 2 to human use, from what I understand, as do the Chinese.

No. That is still incorrect. *
by denver95  (2021-04-12 19:47:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Russian vax
by jdh34!  (2021-04-11 14:29:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is allegedly just the stolen Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

My understanding is that the first Russian vax was covid
by Pjnuge  (2021-04-11 14:34:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

viruses altered chemically or irradiated to attenuate them and they skipped the 3rd phase of trials- proof of prevention in humans. They could have stolen J and Js but it takes time to grow and process all those tiny proteins. Much faster to steal an mRNA vaccine recipe, I think. Unless of course you just steal a shipment of vaccine.

Sputnik is not an mRNA vax; it's an adenovirus vax like J&J *
by irishlaw2010  (2021-04-12 11:53:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"In the past, it has taken years, even decades, to bring new vaccines to market. Attenuated vaccines, such as those for measles, mumps, and rubella, involve weakening a virus to non-dangerous strength; inactivated vaccines, as in most flu shots, render it inert. Developing such vaccines is a tricky process of trial and error. Research into mRNA vaccines—which, in contrast to traditional vaccines, are synthetic, carrying a portion of a virus’s genetic code—began in the nineteen-nineties. Though the mRNA technology was unproved until last year, it was also tantalizingly simple, akin to programming a script of computer software. Moderna, a pharmaceutical company founded in 2010 with a focus on mRNA, created its vaccine prototype during a weekend in January, 2020. In mid-March, the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer, working with the German company BioNTech, came up with twenty contenders for a vaccine; by early April, they had been whittled down to four.

Sputnik V—like several other covid-19 vaccines, developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca, in the United Kingdom; CanSino Biologics, in China; and Johnson & Johnson, in the United States—is what is known as a vector vaccine. This type of vaccine is much newer than the attenuated or inactivated kind but has a longer track record than the mRNA variety."

Its not an mRNA vaccine. You are right. *
by Pjnuge  (2021-04-12 22:01:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post