Just get it over with and create one big conference
by DBCooper (2021-07-30 11:49:12)
Edited on 2021-07-30 11:51:11

In reply to: Non-SEC/B1G realignment  posted by VaDblDmr

of say 40 or 50 teams. Then split them up into geographic areas. I think 5 divisions of 8 to 10 teams makes sense. You can even name them by the geographic area they represent like the West 10, Gulf 10, Midwest 10, South 10 and East 10.

They then play each other once with a few non conference games. The top 2 teams move forward to the playoffs, or you can do something like the winner of each division plays another winner in a big game on a major holiday. You could get those games sponsored or come up with colorful names for the big games.

Eventually when some other schools prove themselves you can add them to these new Strong 5 conferences. Say to 12 at times sounds about right.

It will be glorious.

that's the direction that they're heading in
by jt  (2021-07-31 12:42:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish that it hadn't come to this, but it's hard to deny that's where it is going. The big question seems to be if it will be inside the NCAA or if those schools will leave, and if they leave will it just be for football or will it be for all sports.

I have no interest in that *
by ACross  (2021-07-31 11:46:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was mostly being sarcastic
by DBCooper  (2021-07-31 14:20:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems like we are heading to one big conference. It will be ironic when that big conference is broken up into geographic regions, which is what we had originally.

the complete lack of central oversight
by jt  (2021-07-31 15:11:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has really hurt college football in particular.

You've got regional refs, teams from different regions with little to no commonality, a complete joke of oversight by the NCAA which is basically toothless against the power programs, etc.

Teams have basically done things their own way for over 100 years based on their regional focus. If they're going to have one conference (whether it is the current NCAA or a super conference) they need to have a cohesive management structure and oversight.

Add in a relegation system as well
by IrishTrpt07  (2021-07-30 17:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then Georgia St can knock Tennessee out, and when Tenn gets their 7th coach in 12 years they can win their way back up.