Southern Cal. Southern Cal. Southern Cal. Southern Cal.
by IAND75 (2021-10-18 11:38:25)

In reply to: BYE Week is OVER, FOCUS on Southern Califirnia.... *  posted by ND Harvey

I get a bit of pleasure every time I say Southern Cal.

In the 2002 Scholastic football review, every USC reference
by Gort  (2021-10-19 00:10:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was changed to “Southern Cal.”

It used to be no big deal
by mkovac  (2021-10-18 15:25:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't recall this term being offensive to Southern Cal people until the Pete Carroll era.

My sister is a 1974 USC grad and it sure as hell doesn't bother her.

Strange how people can find something to get pissed off about.

I don't like California to be called "Cali" but it doesn't get me upset.

My father's generation used to call "San Francisco" "Frisco" back in the 30s and 40s, and no one seemed to mind.

Everyone calls Los Angeles "LA" and it's quite alright.

I still don't get the insult *
by RJD  (2021-10-19 09:28:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My understanding is that "Southern Cal" suggests USC...
by 105Marquette  (2021-10-19 10:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...is a satellite campus of Cal.

Scholastic compliment *
by RJD  (2021-10-20 09:59:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My father (ND ‘49) always called them Southern Cal.
by IAND75  (2021-10-18 18:14:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We always referred to them that way when I was in school. But it was just what they were called. No special reason.

I would have no problem calling them USC or Southern California if “Southern Cal” didn’t bother them. But knowing that they don’t like that appellation seals the deal. I will only use “Southern Cal”.