There's a correlation between prior HC experience and...
by Scoop80 (2022-05-08 14:06:42)

In reply to: 4. I think division I 1st time head coaches more often fail *  posted by Father Nieuwland

success for post-Rockne HC's at ND. Leahy, Devine, and Holtz won major bowls at other programs before winning titles at ND. Parseghian got N'western to its only #1 ranking in program history and he did very well @ Miami U.

Brennan, Faust, Davie & CW had no experience as a CFB HC. TW was 44-36 at the Farm (including 2 narrow wins over Davie ND teams that could've gone the other way). He was the only ND HC w/ prior CFB experience between 1997-2009.

BK's pre-ND tenure was roughly consistent w/ his ND tenure. His pre-ND record in top tier bowls was 100% consistent w/ his ND record.

Perhaps Freeman will defy past trends. I do note that he's the only ND HC to hold a lead in the 2d half of a top-tier bowl since 1/1/96.

This is the case folks made for Kelly, by the way. *
by 84david  (2022-05-09 11:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK's record as a HC wasn't in the same league as that of...
by Scoop80  (2022-05-09 14:03:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leahy, Parseghian, Devine, or Holtz.

This is probably the argument I would try to make.
by mocopdx  (2022-05-09 10:54:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is no correlation between prior FBS head coaching success and future success in the modern game. However, you could argue that you need said success at Notre Dame specifically. Even there, though, I would say that's a case of correlation not equaling causation. Can anyone point to why you need that experience specifically at Notre Dame to win big versus, say, USC, Georgia, Clemson, etc?

If Kirby Smart came here instead of Georgia, does anyone doubt he'd be doing an outstanding job in South Bend?

The fact of the matter is that unless you're hiring someone like Saban or Meyer(not at all realistic at this point) anyone you hire is a gamble. Including those with decades of experience at the FBS head coaching level.

No doubt the Freeman hire is a gamble.
by BIG MAC  (2022-05-08 16:54:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, I don't think it is comparable to Davie, TW, or Weis. I felt only disgust for Davie, and zero confidence in Willingham and Weis. I feel much more confident with Freeman. Well, now we will see.