I was pretty sure I was done with ND football after 12 or
by Moff (2022-05-09 22:54:57)
Edited on 2022-05-09 22:59:38

In reply to: There is a wide gulf between a blank slate  posted by ACross

whatever it was years with Kelly, consistently hating the guy from 2011 forward. Even in 2012, right after the Michigan win, I emailed a Michigan colleague and told him that was the last hurdle for Kelly until the bowl given our relatively weak schedule. I also told him that Alabama would then curb stomp us in the bowl game. Low and behold. Kelly never had a prayer of winning it all, or even exceeding his greatest bowl win over an 8-4 LSU team. It was 10 more years in purgatory. At least we have a chance now and with a guy I really like and want to see win.

Before Davie coached a down I had standard rant including about the knife in Holtz’s back and the fact that he would fail, and sat out his whole tenure. I was agnostic re Ty for about the first year or so. I drank the Kool Aid with Charlie and 2005 and 2006 were fun. As for Kelly, I remember seeing him on the TV coaching Cincy at the end of Charlie’s tenure. Kelly was turning purple over something and threw a kicker under the bus in an interview and I thought, “Oh no.” I heard him speak early on and it was akin to the DMV speech and I thought “Oh no.”

Long story short, other than 2005 -2006, it’s been about 26 years since I felt this good about the head coach. Guys from all eras, from Ara’s to the recent guys, are glowing about him. I know that’s not science but I think he is going to do well after some bumps as part the learning curve. It will be good to be all in rooting for him either way.